Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

It was five minutes before lunch. I spent the entire period lounging around and studying chemistry in the room where all the xylophone and marimbas were kept.  The room was really spacious even though it contained a total of the 7 mallet instruments. Austin wasn’t here again so we couldn’t practice during class. Since he wasn’t here I guess we’re no longer practicing after school.

I started feeling nervous and anxious. We have to perform out duet exactly one week from now and we haven’t practiced our duet since the whole break up.

“No Austin today?” I asked when I found Brad, Sophia and Chad.

Chad shook his head. “No I haven’t seen him since Wednesday.”

I frowned slightly. “We were supposed to practice for our duet…”

“Don’t worry. Both of you are extremely talented. I’m sure y’all can wing it.” She chirped.

“I hope so. Well I have to go to my locker and get my math stuff.”

“Okay, we’ll see you later.”

Just as I walked away from our little circle, my phone vibrated in my jacket pocket. I pulled it out and drew in my pattern to get past the lock screen. My heart fluttered when I noticed that Austin texted me.

Austin: Sorry I just woke up :$ Had a pretty long night. I’m still up for practice after school. Are you?

Me: Sure. I’ll meet you in the music room.

Right after I sent my last text I shoved my phone back into my pocket. The lunch bell hasn’t ringed yet so I didn’t have to shove my way through students to reach my locker. When I had a clear view of my locker, I stopped in my tracks. Someone was leaning against my locker while playing on their phone. It seemed like they were waiting- waiting for me. I slowly approached my locker and when I realized who it was my breath hitched.

It was Miguel.

The last time I spoke to him was about two months ago after I found out how he used me for his own amusement while he was clear of my feelings for him. I slowly continued walking towards my locker, wondering why he was there.

“Miguel.” I said loud enough to only grab his attention. His head snapped up from his phone and his emerald green eyes met my hazel eyes. He shoved his phone into the pocket of his denim pants and sent me a small smile.

“Hi Kat.”

He stepped aside and let me spin the combination to my lock to retrieve my things for my afternoon classes. I felt his eyes on me as I exchanged the books and binders in my bag with the ones messily placed in my locker. I felt uncomfortable and squirmed under his stare. I zipped my bag up and closed my locker door. I turned around and we awkwardly stood in front of each other for a while. What was I supposed to say?

“So uhm, how are you?” he asked.

“I’m okay.” I answered. “Look Miguel, I don’t mean to sound rude but what do you want?”

I realized how harsh my tone sounded and I immediately regretted. I was about to apologize for my tone but he chuckled and told me not to worry about it.

“Come with me.” He wrapped his hand around my wrist and led me down the hall. The memories of me being a nervous and awkward around Miguel came to mind. I remember how sweaty my palms became, how my heart rate increased and how butterflies used to take over my stomach. But now, I feel nothing. I don’t feel nervous. My palms aren’t sweating buckets. My heart wasn’t racing. No butterflies were felt.

A few moments later, we were standing in the middle of the CatWalk. A small smile stretched across my face because this was where he asked me to the summer carnival. I knew he was dared to take me out on a date but I didn’t know it back when he asked me. I remember how nervous but excited I was.