Chapter Seven

“But why did he cancel?” Sophia asked. It was a few minutes past noon and my two best friends decided to come over to my place, bearing pizza and Thai food. Yes, we were a bunch of fatties.  I was just telling them how Miguel cancelled our date.

“He didn’t say.” I shrugged and took a bite of my pepperoni pizza.

“You mean to say he asked you out and then cancelled without giving you a reason?” Evan questioned. 

“Yeah…” I said sadly. Now that

 Evan mentioned the situation like that I was more upset about it. How does a guy ask a girl on a date, cancel the night before and not give her a reason why? I know I didn’t ask but he should’ve still told me, right?

“I always thought Miguel was the sweet gentleman.” Sophia said putting down her Thai noodles. “He should’ve at least given you a reason.”

“I don’t trust him.” Evan spat, irritation laced with his words. “Like don’t get me wrong the guy’s okay, I don’t hate him. I just don’t trust with him with girls, let alone my best friend.”

“Can we not talk about him please?” I asked. It was sweet that Evan cared about me but I couldn’t stand hearing their thoughts about Miguel.

They agreed to stop blurting out their thoughts and opinions and we continued pigging out on the food that was still left on the living room table while we watched the movies that were playing on TV.

A few hours later we were watching our third movie which was A Cinderella story, to Evan’s dismay.

“Damn Austin Ames is so hot!” Sophia squealed.

 I agreed with her. Our eyes were glued to screen, staring at Chad Michael Murray, the actor who portrayed the role as Austin Ames in this movie. The sound of Evan’s groan made us turn our attention away from that beautiful actor.  

“What’s wrong with you?” I nudged him.

“This movie is for girls. I am a man.” He pouted.

“Well men don’t pout.” Sophia smirked.

I burst out in giggles while Evan narrowed his eyes at the two of us. The sound of the doorbell rang through the house. We did rock paper scissors to decide who will open the door. Unfortunately, I didn’t do good when it came to choosing either rock, paper or scissors under pressure so I was forced to get up from my comfortable position to answer the damn door.

I wasn’t expecting anyone anyways. The only visitors I have today are Evan and Sophia. Logan was working an evening and a night shift again and Kale was still at Brian’s house. Maybe it’s a delivery?

When I opened the door, my breath was taken away instantly. Guess who it is? I think it’s pretty obvious.

Miguel.

Miguel was standing in my doorway with a sheepish but adorable smile on his face. He wore khaki pants and a navy blue button up shirt. His emerald green shined and his hair was nicely combed. He was holding a bouquet of roses and placed them forward so they were in front of me.

“I know it’s a stupid move to ask, but would you still like to go to the summer carnival with me?” he asked. “The thing that came up got cancelled so if you still want to go, I’d be happy to take you.”

Before I could answer two voice cut in.

“What’s taking so long Kat?” Evan asked as he walked to where Miguel and I were, with Sophia trailing behind him. Evan abruptly stopped in his tracks which caused Sophia to run into his back.