Chapter Nineteen

The past two weeks have been hectic. Those fourteen days were spent doing homework, planning the duet, starting my semester projects for my other classes and studying for tests. Even though it was a lot of hard work and stress, I was able to keep my mind off everything that happened with dad.

It was Tuesday after school and Austin requested if we could practice in the music room. Even though I had a lot Chemistry homework and Advanced Functions to study for, I agreed to practice. Music has always been my escape. And I need to escape from the stress and anxiety I’ve been feeling these past two weeks.

As I made my way down the music room after fourth period, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I received a text from Austin.

Austin: Meet me outside ASAP!

I shrugged at his text and started walking towards the front doors of the school. When I stepped foot out the doors, I found Austin sitting at one of the benches, with a guitar case resting on the other half of the bench. Were we not practicing at the school anymore? I quickly walked over to Austin and tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around and flashed me his breath taking smile.

“Are we not practicing here anymore?” I asked.

“Yeah. We’re going somewhere else.” He said as he stood up and carried the guitar case in his right hand.

“Where?”

“Secret.” He winked. “Follow me. It’s not so far from here.”

Feeling too tired to protest and bombard him with more questions I trailed behind him as he walked down the street. We chatted about our day and about random topics that came to mind. We came to a stop at the crosswalk and waited for the pedestrian signal to turn neon green, so we could cross the street. As we waited, Austin asked me a question that caught me off guard.

“Why have you been so distant lately?”

After finding out that the reason I can no longer see my dad again was because he’s raising another family, I have been talking to people less, including my brothers, Evan and Sophia. I’ve been eating lunch alone in the music room, I walked to and from school without Kale and the only time I talked to Austin was when we had to discuss our duet.

But even though I understood why he was asking that question, I acted like I didn’t.

“I don’t know what you mean.” I lied.

“I know you’re lying Kat.” He said. The pedestrian sign turned green and we walked on the crosswalk, onto the other side of the street and continued walking some more. “After I picked up Arianna at your place two weeks ago she told me that you were crying. And the next day, you started to be so distant.”

I shrugged. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m completely fine.”

“No you’re not.” He said as turned left. “You only say fine when you’re not fine.”

It surprised me a bit that he notices that. No one really does. But I didn’t show it.

“No I don’t. When I say I’m fine, I actually mean it.” I said.

He shook his head. “No Kat. I’ve been your duet partner for almost two months now and I have noticed quite a few of your small habits.”

“Prove it.” I challenged.

“Gladly.” He smirked. “When you are actually okay, you say ‘I’m alright’. You only say ‘I’m fine’ when you’re not fine.”

We arrived at a park. We walked on the soft green grass and through the many trees as I listened to my habits that Austin has noticed.

“Whenever you get nervous or anxious, you play with your necklace. You cry whenever you are scared and relieved. You get really restless when you sit for more than an hour, that’s why after about an hour into the period you find some excuse to get up from your seat. You have a tendency of tapping your pencil on your notebook when you get bored in class. You get distracted easily. And you are very apprehensive whenever you meet someone new.”