Chapter Eleven

Being hand cuffed to Austin wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Surprisingly both of us were dead tired and didn’t wake up until 3:30 in the afternoon the next day. We literally spent all of Saturday in my bed watching reruns of old TV shows. Yes it sounded like something a couple would do but we were hand cuffed and lazy.

After we completed our 24 task, the rest of the weekend flew by quickly and before I could even blink it was Monday morning. I was literally running through the hallways to get to the music room on time. I slept through all of first period and Evan spent a good 3 minutes trying to wake me up. Now I have 2 minutes before the bell signalled the start of second period.

As I rounded the corner I accidentally bumped into someone. The impact was strong enough to make me topple backwards but that someone was quick enough to steady me before my butt hit the cold dirty floors. I looked up and realized it was my twin.

“Are you okay?” Kale chuckled.

“No. I slept through French class again and Evan had a hard time waking me up so now I’m late for vocals.” I grumbled.

“Why don’t you ditch second period with me?” he suggested.

“Why are you skipping?” I asked giving him a suspicious look.

“Supply teacher.” He shrugged. “The annoying one.”

“I don’t know Kale…” I started but he cut me off.

“Come on Kat. Spend some time with your fav twin.”

 He wrapped an arm around me and stirred me in the direction of the door that led to the football field, despite my protests. I guess I am ditching vocals, whether I wanted to or not. I didn’t really mind though. I haven’t talked to Kale in a while even though we lived in the same house.

We trudged up the stairs of the bleachers and sat at the very top. We had a good view football field which was gigantic. It was a beautiful day but it was still a bit chilly even though it was the last week of April. The sun was shining brightly which made me feel a bit happier. Kale and I were the only ones out here since classes were already in session.

“So how are you Kat?” Kale asked

“I’m okay and yourself?”

“I’m alright.” he answered.

He pulled out a container of soft double chocolate chip cookies from his blue bag and placed in between the two of us. My eyes lit up and I grabbed a cookie from the container. I haven’t had these cookies in so long, they were my favourite. When the cookie met my taste buds after so long, I instantly fell in love with it again. It was soft, chocolaty and absolutely delicious.

“Remember when mom would always make this for us?” he grinned at the memory.

“Yeah. She’d always make it for us as our after school snack.” I took another bite of my cookie.

“And whenever Logan and Dad came home there would be no more because we finished it all.”

I giggled. “Logan was so frustrate. I remember he skipped fourth period just so he could get home before us.”

“Ah good times.”

We spent most of the time reminiscing on our memories from when mom and dad were still with us. It was a bitter sweet feeling as we shared the moments we remembered. It was times like these where I wish I could relive every single moment with them; from the good memories to the terrible ones. It was times like this I wish I had one more moment with them.

“I was planning on visiting mom today after school.” Kale said as he put the container away in his bag. “Would you like to come?”

“Yeah of course.” I answered immediately. “I miss her.”