Chapter One

“Okay class, please settle down and take your seats.” Mr. Elliot instructed. Everyone obeyed his words and scurried to their seats.

“Now that we are half way through the course, I will be giving out the semester project which is the duet.” The class broke into whispers of excitement while I internally groaned. I liked the idea of doing a duet as the semester project. I just wish it wasn’t with Austin.

“As you all know there is no exam for this course so your duet will be worth more than half your final grade. You and your partner will be given two months to work on your performance but I am not giving you any class time to do this project, unless I say otherwise. You will perform your duet at the Summer Serenade.” Mr. Elliot explained.

The Summer Serenade is a summer festival consisting of different kinds of entertainment, booths, rides, foods. It’s Maxwell Academy’s way of celebrating the coming of summer. We also do this for the other three seasons.  

“Sir, why do we need two months for the project? Don’t we just have to choose a song, learn it and rehearse it?” the girl who sat in front of me asked.

“Good question Arianna.” Mr. Elliot smiled. “The key to a great duet performance is having that on stage chemistry. Some people that on stage chemistry is natural but for others, they need to bond in order to get that. So for the next few weeks, you and your partner will bond and get to know each other better to develop that chemistry I want to see.”

I made a face. Austin and I can’t have one conversation without turning it into an argument. We’ve bonded countless of times when we were stuck together for detention, during lab days, when we earned ourselves a trip to Mr. Rawry’s office. How much more bonding time do we need?

Mr. Elliot handed out the outline and requirements. He then started reading off the partners. I waited patiently for my name to be called, which I don’t understand because I already know who I’m stuck with.

“And our final pair is Katrina and Austin.” I let out an ‘ugh’ which earned me a disapproving look from the vocal teacher.

“For this weekend I’d like you and your partner to start bonding. Once a week, I will give you and your partner a bonding assignment. There will one day when I will conference with each pair. When that time comes, I should be able to see you and partner ready to start practicing for your performance.”

The bell rang, signalling second period was finished and we were dismissed. As I was about to exit the room, Mr. Elliot called for me and Austin. We both walked over to Mr. Elliot at his desk.

“Are we in trouble sir?” Austin asked. “Because if it helps, we haven’t fought this whole morning yet.”

“Yet.” I mumbled which cost me a nudge from Austin. I nudged him back harder. He did the same. Before we knew it, it turned into a nudge war. Austin vs. Me. Mr. Elliot noticed and interrupted our nudge war.

“No you two are not in trouble. But I want you two to spend 12 hours together this weekend.” Mr. Elliot said.

“But why?” I shirked. 12 straight hours with Austin? Hell no. I can’t even stand being in a 75 minute class with him. I’d die if I was stuck with him for the whole weekend.

“Unlike the other student, it will be harder for both of you to find some common ground, let alone bond. Both of you can’t even have a conversation without it turning it into a nudge war. So this weekend I want both of you to bond. To make sure you both do this, I will call both of your guardians and ask whether you did what I have requested.” Mr. Elliot said.

“Sir I have plans.” Austin said. “I don’t have time to bond with the nerd this weekend.”

“Same. I have better things to do that waste my time bonding with this pig.” Austin gave me a cold look. He was about to retort but Mr. Elliot cut him off.

“Well you’re both going to cancel whatever plans you’ve already made.” He said simply.

I nodded and Austin grunted in response. We were both dismissed for lunch.

“Hey nerd.” Austin called as he made his way to my locker. I shoved my chemistry and advanced functions textbooks into my bag and slammed my locker shut.

“Can you please leave? You presence irritates me.” I tried to walk pass through him but he just blocked my way.

“You enjoy my presence; you just don’t want to admit it.” He smirked. “Anyways you’re coming over to my place on Saturday so we can bond and get to know each other like Mr. Elliot said”

“Why your place? Why not mine?” I asked.

“Because I said so.” He shrugged. “Look, we both want a good grade on this project so can we just try to get along? For the sake of our grade, okay?”

He walked away to his two buddies before I could respond. I let out a tired sigh and walked into the school’s library.

I guess I’ll be spending my weekend at Austin’s place. 

A/N: And here is Chapter One! (: 
Hopefully updates will come faster and I'll still be motivated to keep writing. 
Like I said I'm not the best writer and I'd like to improve on my writing. If you guys have anything I should improve on, please comment and tell me. (: 

- Melissa