Chapter Twelve

You know those times when you can’t believe what you’re seeing? You blink multiple times to make sure what you’re seeing is actually there. You pinch yourself a few times to make sure you aren’t dreaming. The whole situation was too surreal; bizarre and too good to be true.

That’s how I felt when I was standing right in front of my father; the man that abandon his three children after his wife’s funeral. He stared at Kale and I in shock and awe. Obviously he didn’t expect to see us here.

I should be angry with him for leaving us. I should be yelling at him and telling him how much we’ve suffered because of him. But instead I ran into his arms and hugged him tightly. He returned the gesture and hugged me even tighter; afraid that I would slip away if he loosened his hug.

“I missed you daddy.” I whispered in his ear.

Tears began running down my face and onto his dress shirt. The anger I felt moments ago seemed like a distant memory now that I am wrapped in his arms.

“Me too princess.” He kissed my forehead and released me from his embrace.

“Kale,” Dad said as he walked towards him and gave him a warm smile. “How are you son?”

“I’m good dad.” Kale answered curtly.

“That’s good to hear.” He patted his back.

Kale swatted his hand and stepped back. Hurt flashed through my father’s eyes but he covered it up instantly with an emotionless expression.

“Kale.” I said in a warning tone.

“No it’s okay.” Our father spoke up. “I must be on my way. It was nice to see you both.”

My heart cracked a bit at the mention of his departure. I wanted to just sit with him and talk about our lives. I know he’ll never take us back because he legally gave up his rights to own us. But all I’ve ever wanted was more time with him.

He hugged me one last time and I didn’t want him to let go. After almost four years of not having him in my life, it hurt to see him go again. And the fact that I don’t know when I’ll see him again causes more tears to spill.

“Take care, princess.” He whispered in my ear with a shaky voice before letting me go.

“When will I see you again?” I asked, wiping my wet cheeks with the back of my hand.

A stunned expression made its way to his face. “Uhm, I-I”

“Never,” Kale answered. “We never want to see you again.”

“Kale!” I shrieked.

What the hell was he saying? I don’t give a flying fig if he doesn’t want to see him again. I do.  He was about to argue with me but dad cut in.

“He’s right Katrina.” Dad said quietly, his gaze on the green grass. “I don’t think I can.”

He waved good bye to the two of us and began to walk away. My heart shattered into pieces as I watched him walk through the rows of grave stones not sparing us another glance. I placed the asters and carnation beside the red roses. I didn’t want to stay here any longer so I placed a kiss on my hand and touch mom’s grave and apologized before storming out of the cemetery.

Kale called for me and demanded me to stop continuously but I ignored him. I was furious with him! It’s one thing to be cold to dad but to not allow me to see him again? I just wanted to talk to dad and fix things between us. I wanted him to answer all the questions that have been harassing my mind for almost four years. I just wanted him in my life again.