Chapter Three

The annoying sound of my alarm clock woke me up.

Wait alarm clock? I don’t even remember setting my alarm clock last night. Unless Kale did while I was asleep.

 I let out a groan and hit the thing so it would shut up. The neon green number read 7:30 am. All I wanted to do was stay and bed and go back to sleep. The temptation was stronger because I knew I was waking up early for Austin. After a few minutes I gave up and got out of bed to get ready for the day.

I went to my washroom and did my morning routine and changed into my black skinny jeans and my white long sleeve. I shoved my phone into my back pocket and threw on my white beanie. I ran downstairs and slipped on my white converse. I peered into the kitchen making sure everything was off. I grabbed my keys from the key hook before I exited out of the house.

The morning April breeze was cool but not so cool that I needed a sweater. It wasn’t too sunny yet and all I could hear was the sound of birds chirping. It was very relaxing outside at this time because everyone is usually still asleep. Austin’s house was two houses away from mine so I didn’t have to take the bus or walk far.

I walked up to the wooden front door and knocked three times. After a few moments later the door flung open revealing a shirtless Austin. He rubbed his eye with the heel of his hand and his hair was sticking up in different direction. This idiot just woke up didn’t he?

“Forgot I was coming?” I raised an eyebrow. He let out a yawn and stretched.

“No I just thought you wouldn’t show.” He shrugged.

I rolled my eyes. I knew I should’ve just stayed in my cozy bed and go back to dreamland but no, I just had to get up and get ready because I actually thought he would be ready!

“So I woke up early for nothing?”

“Yeah basically.” He smirked and tried shutting the door on me. I jammed my foot before it fully closed.

“No. We are going to this stupid bonding assignment and you are not going to get out of it. If I’m stuck doing it so are you.” I hissed and pushed my way into his home.

His smirk was automatically replaced by a scowl. “Why the hell would you just barge into someone’s home? I didn’t let you in”

Oh how great. It’s not even 9:00 am and we’re already arguing.

“No you are going to let me in.” I said angrily. “You told me to come at 8:00 in the morning. What time is it? 8:00 in the freaking morning. Believe me, I don’t want to do this as much as you don’t but like you said, we’re doing this for the sake of our grade. Now suck it up and let’s get started”

“I live in this house and I choose whether to let you in or not. And I choose not to.” He yelled back. The tips of his ears were red, which was a sign he was angry. “Don’t you know any manners Kat?! Is that how your parents raised you?!”

“Don’t fucking speak about my parents!” I yelled back. “You know nothing!” At this point I was crying. It’s one thing for someone to bring up my parents, it’s another to bring them up and indirectly call them bad parents. My parents raised my brothers and I pretty well but that doesn’t mean were perfect.

Feeling embarrassed for crying in front of Austin I turned around and started walking back home. I heard Austin calling my name but I ignored him. When I reached my house I didn’t go inside. I didn’t need Kale worrying over me this early.

I sat on the steps of the front porch letting the cool morning breeze calm me down. I’m not mad that Austin brought up my parents. He doesn’t even know what happened; I can’t blame him for that. I only have myself to be mad at because it’s been almost four years since everything happened and I can’t get over it.