Chapter Thirteen

The sunlight that shined through the cracks of my curtain brushed against my eyelids and dragged me out of sleep. I slowly cracked my eyes open and blinked a few times to clear my blurry vision. I let out a loud yawn and sat up in my bed. I looked over to my side table to see the time. It was 2:30 in the afternoon.

A blue sticky note was taped on the side my digital clock. It was written in a familiar messy cursive which was Logan’s writing.

 Good Morning Kat. I called the school and told them you were not feeling well. You don’t have to go to school today. I’ll see you when I get home later tonight. Have a great day and I hope you’re feeling better.

-Logan

A small smile made its way onto my face after reading my brother’s note. I set the note back down on the side table and dragged myself out of bed and into the bathroom. I took a half an hour shower, allowing my thoughts to run wild as I cleansed my body with my vanilla body wash. After my shower I changed into mint green shorts and a simple white tee shirt.

Surprisingly I wasn’t hungry so I went back to my bed and lay down. I don’t understand why I’m feeling so exhausted. I slept for more than twelve hours so I should be feeling well rested and awake. My thoughts drift back to yesterday and my argument with Kale. I shouldn’t have over reacted. He was trying to make sure I didn’t get hurt by dad again.

What bothered me for a while now was the expression dad had on his face when I asked him when I can see him again. Was he surprised because he didn’t expect me to say that? Or did he not want anything to do with us? Is that why he said I can’t see him anymore?

What if he doesn’t want me in his life while I am desperately trying to fix things between us?

The thought made my heart drop so I tried pushing it away by turning on the tv to some random channel that was playing Criminal Minds.

I was half asleep and half-awake when the sound of the doorbell rang through the house. Criminal Minds was no longer playing on the screen so I turned off the tv before heading downstairs.

I was expecting Evan and Sophia to be at the door or Kale but instead it was Austin. He was wearing black sweat pants and grey tee shirt tied together with his signature black converse. He looked extremely tired but still managed to look cute.

“You look tired.” Austin commented with an amused expression.

“I can say the same thing about you.” I stepped aside from the doorway letting him come inside. “Is your sister still sick?”

“Yeah. She can never sleep for more than hour; she’s so stubborn when it comes to eating properly and taking her medicine. My mom said she’s working nightshift for this entire week and my dad isn’t in town for the whole week.” He explained.

We both fell onto the sofa and let out a tired sigh. I turned on the tv to some random channel that was playing reruns of Twisted.  

“Everything okay with you?” he asked.

“Yup.” I said popping the ‘p’.

“Why weren’t you at school?”

I shrugged. “I wasn’t feeling well this morning so Logan let me stay home.”

“Are you okay now?”

“Yeah I guess.” I shrugged.

“Good because I have a lot of things to explain to you.”

He moved from his position and grabbed his bag. He opened it and took out a binder that had the word ‘Chemistry’ written in bold capital letters.