Chapter Twenty Seven

I woke up at 5:45 the next morning. My entire body was practically begging for me to stay in bed but I forced myself to get up, ignoring the small irritating voice in my head that was persuading me to go back to sleep. I slipped on my black leggings, a simple black tee shirt that was a bit too big for me and my usual white converse. I grabbed my school bag and slowly snuck out of the house since I did not inform my brothers about my plan.

It was 6:30 am when I was throwing pebbles at Austin’s window. It took a while before he finally pushed his curtain to the side and opened his window. He rubbed his eyes groggily with one hand while running the other hand through his bed hair. Subconsciously, my eyes were focused on his shirtless abdomen. When I realized where my eyes were glued, I averted my gaze knowing my cheeks were turning red.

“When you said early I didn’t know you meant before 7:00 early!” he whispered loudly through his open window.

“Hurry up!” I whispered back.” I’m cold!”

“Give me 5 minutes.” He grumbled and then closed his window.

Five minutes later he came outside wearing all black. He threw me his grey sweatshirt and ordered me to put it on. I inhaled deeply, taking in his scent as I threw on the sweatshirt. His scent made me grin. He handed me yogurt granola bar and we began walking to school.  

“First you keep me up until 3:00 am and then you come waking me up before 7:00 am! Do you not love me anymore?” he complained dramatically.

I giggled. “Sorry I’m over you.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Oh really? Who could be more handsome, smart and talented as I am?”

“I don’t know but when I find him I’m sure he won’t spoil me with pineapples.” I smirked.

He blushed in embarrassment and narrowed his stunning brown eyes at me. “Touche loser, touche”

When we arrived at the school the doors were open. The boys' basketball had morning practice so there were a bunch of tall guys in their red and black jerseys arriving right now. Luckily, there were no staff at the foyer and no one on the team was questioning why we arrived to school before 8:00 am.

The basketball boys headed to the gymnasium which was on the other end of the school, from there the locker hallway was. The halls were quiet except for the distant voices and roars of laughter of the basketball team. Even though they were on the other side of the school, they were still loud.

Austin followed me to my locker. I twisted my combination on my lock and pulled the door open. Two notes floated onto the ground. Before I could bend down and pick them up, Austin was already reading them. His tired, deadpan expression turned angry. I knew they were more nasty notes.

“What do they say now?” I sighed, pulling off his sweatshirt and replacing it with the one I left in my locker yesterday.

He shook his head. “You don’t want to know.”

He began ripping them into shreds and threw them into the nearest recycling bin. I was curious to know what they say but I knew if I read it I would probably cry again.

“So what’s the plan?” Austin asked.

My plan was for Austin and me to stake out in the stairwell that was directly across from my locker. No one ever uses these stairs because they lead to the far exit that no one uses. Beside the stairwell was the art supply room that no one goes in until third period. I planned to set up my camera in there so I could also capture the suspect on tape.

“Wow nice plan.” Austin grinned. “Brad has a tripod in his locker. We could use it for your camera.”

“Sure.” I agreed.