Chapter Five: Dinner With The Team

Începe de la început

My mouth is still on the floor as people leave the room and Antonio pats my back. "Need water?"

"Yep," I manage to say.

Antonio walks away to the water bubbler in the corner while everything washes over me. Me, the not-rich-at-all girl from Cooma, and her cheap Thoroughbred gelding that she rescued made the SEC Junior competition team. Somebody pinch me, damn it!

The second I got out of the Admin room I march straight to Virgo's temporary stall and give him the leftover carrot in my pocket. He breathes warm air into my palm as I feed him. I stroke his glossy neck, over the moon.

After I walk back up the hill to the clubhouse with Antonio by my side. The sun is setting and the sky is turning a gorgeous pink with hints of rose red. The summer sky looks gorgeous. Unfortunately, I can't help but feel nervous. What will all these people that are already on the team and amazing riders think of me?

"Mrs. Ramirez is cooking a big dinner for all of us to celebrate you joining the team," Antonio says, breaking our long silence.

"Dinner sounds great."

Food in my stomach sounds great right now. Antonio opens the door for me and the house is louder than when I first stepped inside a couple of hours ago. I fold my arms in front of my body, nervously as the two of us enter the kitchen. In the centre of the spacious room is a long, wooden dining table with benches lining it. Will, his unnamed friends, a few other girls around Lily's age and the girl with dutch braids sit around the table, spooning piles of Spanish cuisine onto their plates. Antonio and I go unnoticed in the doorway until my new instructor claps his hands together.

"You guys are really hungry aren't you?" Antonio smiles.

"You bet boss. This Spanish food Mrs. Ramirez cooks is much better than the crap you Italians cook," jokes Will.

Will is definitely a class clown type.

Antonio glares at the seventeen-year-old while everyone starts to laugh. "Ever insult the food of my mama again, Will, and you will be out of here."

Antonio's warning makes everyone laugh more and causes Will to salute Antonio who has placed a hand on my back.

"Alright, you rascals. Now as you know I had try-outs today for the Junior competition team and the lucky girl that made it is Maddie. Please don't scare her away," Antonio cheers, pushing me slightly in front of him.

Warm applause from the teenagers at the dinner table wraps around me, and Antonio whispers in my ear to join them at the table. I walk over, not knowing if I will fit in but two older girls move over on their bench to let me sit down.

"Congratulations on making the team," one of the older girls beams. "I'm Ella Maman, the best show jumper on the Senior competition team."

"She wishes," sneers the other girl that moved over for me. "We all know that belongs to Lily. I'm Katy by the way."

I laugh at the girls' playful words. "Nice to meet you guys."

Katy has gorgeous dark skin with curly hair that is tied back. Ella has a face full of freckles while her hair is a dirty blonde pulled into a bun. Both are dressed in baggy hoodies and shorts.

"Who said my name?" Lily's familiar voice questions behind me.

She comes down the stairs that lead to the kitchen and her face beams when she sees me. "You did it, Maddie! You made it!"

Lily hugs me from behind and I chuckle.

"Ella and Katy were lying to poor Maddie here about who the best showjumper is on the Senior competition team. They said you but clearly, it is me," Will claims from the other side of the table.