THIRTY NINE

I open the door with a muffin in my hand and a pen stuck behind my ear. I have been writing an essay and snacking on strawberry muffins since morning. I open my mouth to take another bite as I face the person at the door. Is it possible to feel both happy and embarrassed? Because I do.

I lower my hand and wipe muffin crumbs from my face. I remove the pen hastily from the back of my ear. I can't believe Kystan is seeing me in such an unkempt state.

Kystan doesn't even seem to notice. "Good morning, beautiful." He says with a buoyant smile on his face.

Why do I like the sound of that too much? "Good morning." I reply bashfully. I can't believe that I still get shy when he compliments me.

"What are you doing?" He asks casually.

"I was doing some school work." I answer.

He raises an eyebrow, "Does it involve muffins?" He gestures to the muffin still in my hand.

"No." I answer sheepishly, "I got hungry." I answer. I notice then that he is standing a little awkwardly, I wonder what is wrong.

He changes the subject, "Did you sleep well last night?" I am starting to wonder why he is making a lot of small talk. Then I notice what is wrong with his posture; he has been hiding his hand behind his back this whole time.

"What are you hiding behind your back?" I ask.

He looks like he has been waiting for me to ask that the entire time. "Do you want to see it?" He asks.

"Yes." I answer immediately.

When he sees how excited I am, he says "I think I'll keep it for later." He walks backwards to his car, with his back away from me, and places whatever it is back into the car. I am only able to see the small box it is in.

He comes back with nothing in his hands. I look at him sourly. Why does he have to tease me so? "Leave my property." I say and make a move to close the door. Obviously, I am just bluffing, I do not close it but rather look at him as he laughs at my annoyance.

When his laughter dies down, he says, "I'd love to take you on a date." His hand lightly brushes against my cheek.

"Yes." I answer softly. "Let me just go and get ready."

"I'll wait for you in the car." I prepare with lightning speed. I skip the makeup and put on clothes as fast as I can. I walk back downstairs after ten minutes.

I climb into the passenger seat and put on my seatbelt. I look at Kystan and find his eyes transfixed on me, "You are gorgeous." He says out of the blue.

"Thank you." I'll never get tired of it. "Where are we going?" I ask.

"To a place I found." He answers vaguely. The look he gives me is a sure promise that I am going to like what lays ahead. I take that as my answer and dedicate my time to choosing a song on the radio. When I find the right one, I roll the window down and let the wind blow into my face as I listen to loud music and occasionally sing along when a song I know comes on. Kystan joins in as well.

After an hour of driving, he takes a turn off the main road. We go through a path lined with tall birch trees. The air lightens as we get farther into nature. The trees thicken and more varieties of trees appear. I sit in silent awe at how he discovered such an invalidly beautiful place. Suddenly, we reach a clearing. Kystan parks the car. I look at him like I am asking for his permission to love this place. He nods.

I get out of the car and stand a few steps away. A breeze rustles the trees and blows my hair sideways. It is so enchanting here, with the trees towering so high above me, but still letting some light seep through, the leaves look so green it is almost rejuvenating looking at such health and vitality. I go back to the car and pull Kystan out to come and experience this place with me.