FIVE

It's been a week since I talked to my mom and I haven't called her again. Dad hasn't been answering my calls either. To add on to my misery, Jade has been testy all week because one-night-stand dude keeps calling.

As I am reading articles on Greek fashion, Jade's phone rings next to me; the screen reads A-hole 101. I know who it is instantly. I decide to answer the phone because I know Jade will not and this conversation is long overdue.

"Hello, Jade?" He asks as though he isn't sure. Seriously, didn't he check before he called?

I refrain from rolling my eyes and answer, "It's not her. I'm her roommate." He is about to say something, but I cut him off, "I want you to leave her alone. You were a major asshole to her, and you don't deserve even a second of her time." I scold him, letting out exactly what I think about him.

There is a pause at the other end of the line, I wish he just fainted. "I deserved that." My wish is proven wrong.

Wait what? To think that he sounded resigned while saying that.

"Big time." I resist the urge to roll my eyes.

"I know, and I want to apologize. I said many stupid thing that day; I panicked," He hesitates for a second too long. "I respect her and I don't want to mix her in the mess that is my life." He says repentantly. My cold countenance warms up at his heartfelt remorse.

"That's some deep stuff. Jade is nice, but I am not." I employ the most intimidating voice in my arsenal. He coughs awkwardly.

"I understand. Can you keep this call a secret?" He asks.

"My lips are sealed but don't betray my service." I wouldn't have accepted if I didn't know that my dear friend Jade has a crush on him, and I definitely am doing her a favor.

"Thanks." Tension ebb from his voice, "One more thing,"

I interrupt him, "Buddy, you ask too much." I say in a cheeky tone.

"You can handle it." He comments amid laughing, I kind of like him now. "I want to treat her to dinner," Seconds ago, he was begging for mercy, now he wants a date? His intentions become questionable to me. "as a way of apologizing" He adds as an afterthought.

"To be honest, you overestimate your chances. But I will do what I can to get her there." I promise him.

"Thanks again, what's your name though?" His tone gains a flirty edge.

"Bye now." I say and hang up

I'm restless all morning waiting for Jade to come back from the grocery store. When she does, I jump out of bed and rush to her.

I let her get snacks before dropping the bomb. "Jade," I start as she is sifting through the channels looking for The Real; she has been binge-watching it for 3 days now. She opens a bag of chips and munches on them.

She looks at me with suspicion. How can she read me this well after a few weeks of living together? "What did you do?" She sits beside me on the sofa.

I gasp, feigning hurt, "What do you mean?" She rolls her eyes and returns to watching the show. I lose all my mouth control and blurt it out at once, "I scored you a date." I am smiling from ear to ear.

Her eyes widen, her mouth agape, "Don't tell me." She says with dread.

I ignore her statement. "So, A-hole 101 called, and I answered. He apologized and asked you out on an 'apology-date'." I add air-quotes and wink at her.

She blushes profoundly. "Did he really say that? "She asks hesitantly.

"Yeah." I pick some chips from her bag. "Sort of." I add on second thought.