TWENTY NINE

I enter my apartment to the sound of my phone ringing. I wonder how many times it has done that today. I pick it up and check who is calling. I put it down and slowly change into my pajamas, willing the phone to stop ringing so I don't have to talk to her.

I heave a sigh of relief when it turns off for a moment, but it starts again. I brace myself and pick it up.

"Hi Cycy." I say in a sweet voice.

"Open the door, now." She says in an authoritative voice.

"The door? What door?" I say hoping it isn't my door.

"I am at your door." I walk gingerly to the door. I open and come face to face with an angry Cynthia.

She has changed her hairstyle to long cornrow braids. "I like your hairstyle." I compliment her.

She smiles and flips the ends, "Thank you, girl." Her smile disappears as fast as it came. "But don't try to distract me with compliments." She says and enters.

"Ok."

She reaches midway through the living room and turns to look at me, hands in her hips, "Where were you the whole day?" She asks.

"I was in Brighton." I answer swiftly.

"Doing what?"

"I went to a bakery." I answer evasively.

"Say that again." She asks rhetorically. "So you went two hours away just to get yourself a cupcake?" She looks at me like I am insane.

"I was with Kystan."

She seems to consider it, "So your boyfriend wanted cupcakes from Brighton?" She asks with bewilderment.

I resist the urge to face palm right now, "No. It's his hometown and he wanted to take me there." I reply with frustration.

Her face gleams with understanding, "Why didn't you say so the first time?" She laughs with excitement, "So what was it about?"

"Umm, can we first sit down?" The sight of us awkwardly standing in the middle of the kitchen, Cynthia with her hands on her hips and me with my arms crossed defensively. She grudgingly follows me to the living room.

"So, wait. What does the bakery have to do with that?"

"It's his mom's." I answer with exasperation. "I mean, was."

"Oh, that's so bad." She says sympathetically.

"Yeah, it is." I briefly remember the sight of tears in Kystan's eyes as he was telling me about it.

"Still, I have to see you tomorrow morning, sharp and punctual." She gives me a stern eye. Trust her to change the subject so expertly.

"You got it boss." I give her a salute.

----------------------------------------------

Kystan's POV

I planned on telling Liza all about the letter accepting me to go to Rwanda, but amidst all the trips to Grosvenor Square to meet my lawyer and modeling tirelessly for the upcoming London Fashion week, I forget all about it.

Today is Friday, already, and I think we are almost through with all these files for the hearing. I recline in my chair and finally breathe a sigh of relief.

"That's a wrap." Hughes, my lawyer, says.

"Finally." His eight year old daughter says from behind the door. We have been working at his home and his kids haven't been happy about it to say the least.