EIGHT

I get up from the bench hurriedly and power walk the fourteen minutes to the Parlour. Fortnum and Mason is busy when I arrive. I squeeze through passers-by before I enter the shop. Jade is sitting at the back of the shop looking as radiant as a child on Christmas.

I want to beat that girl up. Why does she keep tricking me? I walk over to her. "You better have a good explanation for this." I tell her sternly.

"First of all, calm down." she says cautiously. She waits for me to take off my bag, "they have a new flavor of ice cream." her eyes radiate so much glee, I almost forgive her.

"That's it?" I am unimpressed. "What flavor is it?" If it's a wack flavor, I will leave.

"Ginger pineapple. Strawberry shortcake. And cherry pistachio. " I am sold. "You should try the strawberry shortcake." She declares and proceeds to order me one.

It looks as beautiful as it sounds. Every lick is utopian. Ice cream is forever ruined for me. Vanilla? Chocolate? What's that?

"It's amazing, right?" she asks. I can only nod and hum in response because my mouth is occupied.

"How come you have so much time on your hands?" I am amazed how a law major has the time to know that a shop has new ice cream.

"Research is part of my arsenal. Besides, I love ice cream. How can't I know?" She takes another scoop of her ice cream. "I heard that Kystan was at your school." The casualness with which she says that is astounding. I lean back in my chair dumbfounded. How did she know? "I told you, I know things."

On second thought, Asher must have told her. They are inseparable these days after all. "He is a jerk." I say with distaste.

She leans in, "How so? I thought you were getting along after Saturday."

"What on earth made you think so?" I am amazed by how far she can go to realize her match making dreams.

"The covert glances, you blushing too much around him. Don't get me started about when you were holding hands." She rants and rolls her eyes like it should have been the most obvious thing ever. My face heats up. Traitor! "Exactly my point." She motions at my pink tinted cheeks.

""Well, I want nothing to do with him." I reply resolutely. I recount the encounter to her. When I am done she is as irked as I was. "That wasn't right." She comments. "He deserves a talking to." she removes her phone from her pocket. I am horrified at the idea.

"No." I protest while making a grab for her phone. I hide it from her.

"What? He should know what he did wrong."

"That would be so embarrassing." I reply self consciously.

"What happened to the girl who stood up to him?" she looks at me with amusement.

"She is sweeter now." Jade shakes her head. I didn't mean to be punny. We leave the shop in comfortable conversation. Midway through, Jade has to go to Westminster for her classes. Instead of returning to an empty house, I take a taxi to Brick Lane to buy fabrics for my project. I come home with a handful of bags full of meticulously curated textiles. I am surprised to see a piece of paper sticking out under the door. I have to put down some of the bags to successfully open the door. I pick up the mystery paper and unfold it.

"Hello. I'm the happiness fairy.

I've sprinkled happy dust on you.

Now smile dammit,

This shit is expensive.

-Kystan

P.S: Being an optimist is not that bad. It takes a lot of bravery actually. "

With the papers are a couple of the flyers.

I turn around my gaze looking around, in hopes that he is still nearby. He isn't. A smile makes its way on my face. Granted this is not much of an apology, but he has a sense of humor, I'll give him that. I fold the paper neatly and keep it in my bag. I pick up the bags and enter the house.

I change into comfortable leggings and a t-shirt, and pick up the flyers. Vogue, LVMH, D&G. Many of the companies are high status companies. It would be extremely competitive to get a place there which would be amazing if I get in. At the last minute, I apply to a company named Abercrombie and Fitch, just for the sake of it.

My last attempt looks so ridiculous, I toss the fabrics away and go to bed. I wake up to see blinding lights, the walls around me are too white. I feel the prick of a needle in my arm. I try to move my leg, but it doesn't budge. I look where my leg should be only to see my right leg hanging on a support with a cast from the ankle up to the knee. A throbbing pain in that area, jolts me out of my daze. My hands shake from the pain. What happened to me?

                                          ***********************************