5 - Conflicted

Everything was a blur after you jumped into the water. The rush of adrenaline you had crashed after you made contact with the water. When you finally came to your senses you realized that you were in a cavern with a pocket of air above the sea. Yoongi was there with you in the water, you looked around and felt your legs in the water while your upper body rested on a couple of large rocks.

"Ugh, what happened...?" You asked as you looked around trying to let your vision focus.

"I'm not entirely sure,"

"Wait!" You shouted, your voice bouncing off the walls of the cavern as you sat up straight, "He shot fire from his hands!"

"The man you were with?" Yoongi asked,

"Yeah! How did he do that!?"

"He must be a wizard, good thing I found you then,"

"How did you find me exactly? And how did I get here?"

"I could sense you were in danger, so I went to save you and you jumped in the water, then I turned you into a siren temporarily so you could breathe underwater and I could get you somewhere safe."

"You turned me into a siren!? How!? I thought they were formed from sea foam!"

"It's called the siren's kiss, Leggy. In emergencies, a siren can transform the human to which they're connected into a siren temporarily. Depending on the length of the kiss and the severity of the situation determines the amount of time the human is a siren for."

"Uhm, what? Connected? I'm confused..."

Yoongi sighed before showing you his forearm which had your name engraved into his arm as though it was an old scar.

"When a child is born a siren is formed from seafoam that is sworn to protect that child. Whenever the human that a siren is connected to is in danger or needs the siren in some way the scar on the siren's arm will begin to cause the siren pain. Since the siren and human are connected the siren can sense the human's presence to go to help them. However, if a child isn't often in danger the siren will go dormant and transform back into sea foam. That's why there are so few sirens that exist."

"So that's why you're helping me? What happens if I die?"

"Anything that happens to the human will also happen to the siren. Anytime you have felt pain, whether it be physically, emotionally, or mentally, I too, have felt it. If you were to die, then I would die as well."

"Oh... Can't you just break the connection?"

"No, the curse keeps sirens trapped. Once a soul has sinned in their past life then they will be reformed as a siren to repent for their sins, once their duty as a siren is completed their soul will be set free."

"So you were a human before?"

"I was,"

"Do you remember your past life?"

"I do,"

"Well?"

"It's best if I don't tell you,"

"Well, if you can turn me into a siren can't I turn you into a human?"

"In theory, it might be possible, but it's never been done before so I doubt it could happen,"

"Oh... I'm sorry..."

"For what?"

"It's my fault that you're trapped as a siren isn't it?"

"What? No, it's my fault -"

"But since we're connected and I'm constantly in danger you're always going to have to save me..."

"Yes, but I was the one who sinned, so it's not your fault that I'm a siren, Leggy."