1 - Birthday

Thump.

Thump.

Thump.

You were cold, but it was bearable. The only thing you could hear was the sound of your heart pounding. You slowly opened your eyes, everything around you was hazy, but you could see fish swimming around you, and then you felt yourself land on a cushion of sand.

There he was.

A man you were unfamiliar with, then. You started choking, realizing that you had inhaled so much water. The taste of salt and the fear of drowning overcame you.

The man reached for you as your vision became too unclear to make out any of his features. You didn't have it in you to fight back, you were too focused on the water filling your lungs.

You wanted to be home, you wanted to be with him. Your best friend and older brother. You wanted anything but the feeling of the cold water clutching your skin.

And then, everything was dark. Your entire body was numb and you no longer feared the freezing temperatures of the water.

Was this it? Was this the end of your life? Perhaps this was your fate, to die young. To drown in the salty seawater and freeze with hardly any purpose.

You quickly shot up from your slumber, shivering as the memories from your past reformed in your dreams. The sun peaked through the large curtains that covered the grand window in front of your large king-sized bed. You rubbed the sleepiness from your eyes as a servant entered your room with a tray of food, presumably your breakfast.

"Ah! Your highness, you're already awake." The servant spoke kindly, as she walked to your bedside and gently set the tray of food on your lap. Then she headed to open the curtains covering your window, revealing the blinding light from the morning sun and the ocean waves sparkling as they gently moved and washed up against a nearby beach. You shaded your eyes with your hands as your vision adjusted to the brightness while the servant opened the window, letting the refreshing ocean breeze into your room.

"Good morning, Marie," You replied with a hoarse voice as you started to stretch your arms while trying not to disturb the tray of food on your lap.

"Did you sleep well?" She asked as she straightened a few things in your bedroom.

"I suppose," You responded, "Although, I didn't have a very pleasant dream last night."

"Oh, my apologies your highness, but remember that it was just a dream." She smiled at you and bowed, then headed to your closet to prepare your clothes for the morning. You sighed and started eating the eggs on your plate unenthusiastically, not feeling very hungry.

"What would you like to wear today your highness?" Marie called from your closet, her sweet voice echoing around your room, "Pink? Purple? Blue?"

"Whatever you think is best Marie!" You called back. You ate the last bite of food you could handle, as your dream made you feel a bit nauseous.

Marie hummed to herself as she reentered your room delicately handling a pretty white dress with golden accents and quarter-length bell sleeves. Then, she glanced at the tray with some uneaten food on it and frowned slightly.

"Are you finished eating, your highness?" She asked with obvious concern in her voice.

"I'm not very hungry, the dream I had made me lose my appetite. Not to worry though, Marie, I will be sure to eat more during lunch at noon." You replied as you smiled at her reassuringly.

She sighed as she gently set the dress on the end of your bed, "Today is a very important day, your highness, you should eat all your breakfast."

"You remembered!?" You asked excitedly, today was the day of your twenty-first birthday, you hadn't heard any preparations being made to celebrate, so you assumed everyone had forgotten, but maybe it was meant to be a surprise.