Brooklyn?

**Laura's POV**

INCOMING CALL - RYDER

"Hey, kiddo," I put my phone on speaker and kept working on the audition form.

"Mom," Ryder sounded scared and I immediately sat up.

"Rye? Sweetheart, what's wrong?"

Ryder sniffed and it sounded like she was crying, "It-It's Brooklyn. She's, Mom, she's in the hospital."

"Oh my God! Ryder, what happened?"

"I-I don't know. Mrs. Max only had so much information. Apparently, she was beaten up. Mom, I'm on the subway, I'm going to her. I'm so scared. What if -"

I cut her off, "Ryder, you can't think like that," I capped my pen and started putting on my shoes, "Brooklyn is tough, she's going to be okay."

"I can't lose her, Mom, I can't. She's my... she's my everything."

"I'm going to meet you at the hospital, Ryder. I'm going to have my ringer on until I get there so if you need anything, please do call me back."

"No! Don't hang up - please! I... Mommy..."

My heart did a flip in my chest, "I'm not going anywhere, Trix, okay? I'm right here."

After a few minutes, I heard a PA voice in the background and Ryder hung up. I found her in the hospital waiting room, leaning on Oliver.

"Ryder!" I jogged over to the pair and a couple whom I assumed were Mr. and Mrs. Max.

"Mom!" Ryder jumped up and ran into my arms, "You're here..."

I hugged her tight, "Of course I'm here. Any news?"

"Family of Brooklyn Max?"

We turned to see Mr. and Mrs. Max and Oliver stand up to greet a nurse who was coming over.

"That's us," Oliver held out his hand to Ryder, who joined them with me right behind.

"She's okay -" Ryder swayed on her feet and Oliver put an arm around her shoulders to keep her upright. The nurse continued, "Brooklyn is okay. She has a minor concussion, a few cracked ribs - all of which we set - and a broken wrist. There is a lot of bruising, but you're welcome to see her. It looks worse than it is."

Mrs. Max put a hand on Oliver's arm, "You two go ahead. I'm sure Luke and I have a lot of paperwork to fill out."

Ryder looked up, "Are you sure?"

Mr. Max nodded, and took his wife's hand, "Go," he looked at me, "Can you go with them?"

"You don't know me," I pointed out.

Mrs. Max smiled softly, "Ryder trusts you, and that's good enough for us."

I agreed hesitantly and followed the nurse to a room down some back hallways. She stopped by the door.

"In there."

Ryder immediately pushed into the room with Oliver close behind. I followed a few steps slower and made sure to keep a respectful distance from the trio.

"Gidget..." Ryder sat down on the bed beside her sleeping girlfriend and I saw her reach a hesitant hand out to Brooklyn's face.

There was a soft groan, then Brooklyn said, "That's Madam Gidget to you."

Ryder laughed and hugged Brooklyn. Oliver joined in after a few seconds and both girls welcomed him into their embrace.

"Why are you crying?" Brooklyn reached up to Ryder's face and wiped some of her tears.