The World Falls Away

**Ben's POV**

Laura had asked me to pick up Ryder from school and I was outside for a long time, waiting for her. When the swarm of kids coming out teetered down to just a few coming at staggered points, I decided to go find her. I was about to ask a boy with two different colored eyes when I heard a laugh - Ryder's laugh. I followed the sound to the back of the school where Ryder and the girl, Brooklyn were walking.

Brooklyn pushed Ryder up against a locker and kissed her.

"What's that for?" Ryder asked.

"I don't know," Brooklyn answered.

Adorable. That's what they were. I didn't want to interrupt their moment, but I cleared my throat anyway, catching both of their attentions. Brooklyn blushed and Ryder's eyes widened.

"I-" Ryder started, but I held up my hand.

"I'm happy for you, kiddo," I smiled, "You two, you look really great together."

Ryder visibly relaxed and Brooklyn nudged her shoulder, "See? I told you it would be fine."

Laura's foster daughter rolled her eyes, "You were right," she then turned to me, "Do you think you'd be able to keep this-"

"Under wraps?" I raised an eyebrow and Ryder nodded, "Of course. I won't say anything to anyone. Though, Ryder, you should know - Laura, Mike, everyone, they're all going to accept you."

"I appreciate that, Ben," Ryder smiled, "Though since you caught me kissing my girlfriend, I guess I should come out formerly - I'm bisexual."

"Great," I returned the smile, "You make Ryder happy, okay, Brooklyn?"

"Always," Brooklyn looked at Ryder and the two kissed again.

I watched them for another minute or so before I remembered, "Okay, lovebirds, I hate to do this, but Ryder - Laura wants us back at Mike's as soon as possible. Though, I'm sure that she wouldn't mind if Brooklyn were to tag along."

Both girls blushed, but they nodded. I lead them both through the crowds to Mike's apartment. I knocked and Kristolyn answered.

"Hey, Ben. Hey, Matrix!" she stood aside and let us in, "Oh, I don't think I know you," she said to Brooklyn.

"This is Brooklyn Max," Ryder introduced her, "My best friend. Ben said she could come."

"Cool!" Kristolyn grinned widely, "It's nice to meet you, Brooklyn. I'm Kristolyn."

"It's nice to meet you, too," Brooklyn replied, "Ryder said that you're the one who gave her the nickname 'Matrix', it's fitting."

I kept an eye on Ryder and Brooklyn for the rest of the night. How I didn't see it before, I don't know, but Ryder and Brooklyn were perfect with each other. During dinner, Laura and Mike stood up.

"Hi, everyone, thank you for coming," Laura announced. I leaned back and watched Ryder, "Mike and I have some news."

"Throughout the past couple of months," Mike continued, "Laura has been working on filing for an adoption."

Brooklyn squeezed Ryder's shoulder as she watched the two with wide, disbelieving eyes.

"Ryder," Laura walked around the table and stood in front of her foster daughter, "Can we adopt you?"

"Y-yes!" she scrambled out of her seat and threw her arms around Laura's waist.

The rest of the night was a party. Michael Park broke out sparkling cider and Kristolyn turned on some music. We danced around the living room and Brooklyn left around eleven-thirty. The crazy and the joy distracted my mind from the show and from everything else bothering me in the world.

Ryder's constant smile throughout the night was just enough.