Life Without You has Been Rough (Part 2)

**Laura's POV**

Once Intermission began, I went straight up to my dressing room to wind down before act two, only to find Ryder and another girl sitting on the floor playing a small game of Trivial Pursuit and eating fruit snacks. I watched from the doorway, examining Ryder's friend. She looked about Ryder's age with dark curly hair and dark skin. The slouch in her posture made her look tired, but she was better off than Ryder.

"Knock, knock," I entered the room and both girls looked up.

"Laura, how was the show?" asked Ryder.

"It's going good, Matrix," I sat down in my chair and rubbed Ryder's head lightly before leaning back, "How was school?"

"Same old, same old," Ryder's head ducked briefly before quickly coming back up, "Oh, um, Laura, this is my girl - I mean, uh, my best friend, Brooklyn Max. Brooke, this is my foster mother, Laura Dreyfuss."

Brooklyn Max stood up and offered her hand for me to shake, "It's nice to meet you, Ms. Dreyfuss."

"You, too, Brooklyn, but please, call me Laura. Any friend of Ryder's is a friend of mine."

Brooklyn smiles at me and sits back down. I watch the two play Trivial Pursuit, occasionally giving them a hand with pronunciation and answers.

"Ryder," Mike poked his head in the door about eight minutes to places, "Come on! We're going to go bother Michael. He just got a new game!"

Ryder looked at Brooklyn and she nodded, "Go for it, Rye. I'll stick around here with Laura."

When Mike and Ryder left Brooklyn and me alone in my dressing room, I asked, "How long have you known Ryder?"

"We met in second grade," Brooklyn told me, "Ryder was new to the school and I was the first one to ask about her limp. She disappeared for a few weeks and came back with bruises and wouldn't talk to anyone but me and we became close really quickly."

"Where did she go? When she disappeared?"

"I'm sorry, Laura," Brooklyn shook her head, "It's not my secret to share. Ryder will tell you when she's ready, though," she looked toward the door as if making sure Ryder wasn't there, "I will tell you one thing - Ryder is dangerous when she's in pain, both emotional or physical. She could easily destroy anything and everything around her, but she doesn't. She destroys herself instead, Laura. She's been to hell and back and she's stronger for it. Sadly, that's both a blessing and a curse. She's better at letting things roll off her back, but it also means that she won't ask for help no matter the situation."

"Yeah," I laughed, "I've noticed that. Can you tell me what happened to her parents, or...?"

"Car crash," Brooklyn tipped her head, "Ryder was the only survivor. Her dad died on impact and her mom died in the hospital over the next week. I met her shortly after and she was still grieving."

"And she's told you all of this?"

Brooklyn shrugged, "Most. There's a diner up in East Harlem, where Ryder grew up, and the owner of the venue, Joe, was a friend of Ryder's parents. He filled me in on some missing pieces, but Ryder has to tell you the most. Joe's good at knowing how much is enough, he's a veteran so he's had the experience."

Brooklyn and I changed the topic just in time for Ryder to come back in and sit down beside her friend. I started to say something, but places were called and I had to leave.

"Be good, girls," I hugged Ryder, "And help yourself to any of Mike's snacks."

**Ryder's POV**

"What did you and Laura talk about?" I asked Brooklyn.

"You," she answered completely nonchalant.

I froze, "What?"

The smile came back, "Kidding."

I laughed and lay down on the ground with my head in Brooklyn's lap. We quizzed each other from the Trivial Pursuit deck and I told her more about what happened to me while she was in Europe. We ended up watching Merlin on her phone even though both of us have seen all five seasons. We got through almost an episode and a half when Mike ran into the dressing room and closed the door, locking it. I sat up almost immediately and asked,

"What're you doing?"

"Shh!" He leaned against the door, "Laura's coming!"

I heard the handle jiggle and when it didn't budge, she started knocking.

"Ryder! Open the door," she called.

"Open the door, Mike," I  told him, feeling my heart rate start to pick up, "Please."

Brooklyn noticed my distress and pressed closer to my shoulder.

"You're okay, Rye," she whispered, "You're safe. They won't hurt you. You're safe."

Mike noticed and instantly opened the door.

"I'm sorry, Ryder," he scooted closer to us, "I didn't know..."

"It's okay," I muttered through shaking breaths, drawing my knees up and hugging them to my chest.

"Hey, Ryder, sweetheart," Laura knelt in front of me and Brooklyn, "You okay?"

I tuned out all voices until I felt arms around my shoulders.

"No!" I flinched away, but the arms stayed around me.

"Ryder, Ryder, Ryder," I heard a soft voice repeat "You're safe, Ryder, you're okay" over and over again.

I finally pulled my head from my knees and found Laura still kneeling in front of me with Mike beside her and Brooklyn with her arms around me. I instantly pulled myself away.

"I -"

"No," Brooklyn shook her head, "No, Rye, you didn't hurt me. You didn't hurt any of us."

My shoulder's sagged and I leaned back toward Brooklyn with Laura and Mike joining the hug shortly after.

"You're okay," Laura whispered in my ear, "You're okay."

And for once, I actually believed her.