We Get Lost in the In-Between

**Brooklyn's POV**

Following the conversation I'd had about Ryder with Laura, she gave me her number and I gave her mine just in case anything came up and we needed to get in contact with each other. Today, was one of those days. I was at the city library searching for a book on AI when my phone started buzzing in my pocket.

"It's Brooklyn," I answered after briefly checking the caller ID.

"Hi, Brooklyn, uh, it's Laura. Ryder's foster mom."

"Oh, hey, Laura. What can I do for you?"

"Uhm, yeah, so, I need some help with Ryder. I can tell something's wrong with her, but I don't know what."

"How's she acting?" I could hear the worry in Laura's voice and it made my heart swell. Ryder's been lacking a grown-up who cared for her since her parents died. It's nice to know that there's someone else looking out for my girlfriend.

"She didn't touch breakfast this morning and locked herself in her room. She won't talk to me. I'm worried, Brooklyn, and I figured you might be able to help since you've been her friend for such a long time."

I sighed, "Yeah, I can help. Today is the 8 of November."

"Yeah, so?"

"It's the anniversary of the crash. Is her door locked?"

"No. Bedroom doors don't have locks in my apartment, we just respect the closed door as needing privacy."

"She doesn't need that, privacy, I mean. Look, Laura, I can come over if that'd help. She's just grieving. Go into her room, sit with her, and just be there. That's the best thing you can do - make sure she knows that you're there for her."

I heard her release a breath, "Thanks, Brooklyn. This, this really helps. I'm glad Ryder has you in her life."

"And I, you," I answered, "Go take care of Ryder and let me know if there's anything else I can do - oh! And, Laura, her comfort food is pasta and her comfort movie is The Matrix, hence the nickname. She also is a sucker for chocolate and blueberries."

"Thank you. I will keep all of that in mind. I'll talk to you later, Brooklyn."

"Bye, Laura."

The line clicked off and I slid my phone back into my pocket. I checked out my AI book and started wandering, eventually finding myself unintentionally at Laura and Ryder's apartment. I knocked. I don't know why I knocked, but I did. Laura answered and gave me a small smile.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I-"

"It's okay, Brooklyn," she jerked her head slightly and stood to one side, "Come on in."

I returned the smile and stepped into the apartment, taking off my shoes, coat, and bag and dropping them by the door. Laura led me to the living room where Ryder was curled on the couch with a bowl of pasta in her lap and The Matrix paused on the TV.

"Hey," I walked over and sat down next to her.

"Did Laura call you?" she blinked and I found the bloodshot whites around her green gaze.

I wrapped an arm around her shoulder and hugged her close as Laura brought a colander of blueberries and a few bars of chocolate in from the kitchen, "Would you be mad if she did?"

Ryder poked her pasta with her fork and managed a weak shake of her head, "I'd think that she's getting good at knowing what I need."

"Do you need us to catch you up to where we are, Brooklyn?" Laura asked, pointing at the TV.

I laughed slightly, "No. I've seen this movie almost as many times as Ryder."

"Like that's true," Ryder scoffed, "No one's seen The Matrix as many times as me."

Laura resumed the movie and gave me a nod and smile. I had a feeling that she knew Ryder and I were more than just friends, but she didn't say anything. At the end of the movie, Ryder snuggled closer to Laura and I heard her whisper something.

"What?" Laura asked.

"Thank you," Ryder repeated louder, "Both of you."

"For what?" It was my turn to be confused.

"Today," Ryder glanced between us, "This day has always sucked and..." she managed a weak smile, "And today it was actually pretty good. I appreciate this, Laura, Brooklyn. Truly, I do."

Laura kissed the top of Ryder's head, making me smile, "We're always going to be here, Trix," Laura told her, "You're not getting rid of us that easily."

Ryder fell asleep and Laura and I went to the kitchen.

"Ryder needs this," I told her, "Thank you."

"Needs what?" Ryder's foster mom passed me a glass of water.

I rolled my shoulders, "She needs stability. She's been tossed around from home to home for years and, well, she doesn't let every foster parent hold her as she does you. You've gotten Ryder to trust you, a feat that doesn't come easily."

"She trusts you, too," Laura leaned against the counter.

"Yeah, well," I laughed, "I've known her since we were nine."

"Can I ask you something, Brooklyn?"

"Sure."

"I am ready to take the next step with Ryder and I'm not sure how to do that."

I tipped my head, "Next step?"

"I want to ask Ryder to let me adopt her."

Hey, all! I'm thinking about publishing another story. Same as last time - two options:

Adopted by Katie McGrath
or
An original story called Dragon Rock that I've been working on.

Please leave your opinion/request and enjoy what you can of summer and Pride Month!

                                 -Spaceheater1