Life Without You has Been Rough (Part 1)

**Ryder's POV**

"Rye!"

I spun around, only to collide with Brooklyn Max.

"Hey, Brooke," I took a few steps back to reestablish personal space, "How're you doing? How was Europe?"

"It was amazing!" Brooklyn launched into a very detailed description of her mother's sabbatical that the two of them spent traveling across the pond. "What about you? How are you doing?" she asked once she'd finished, "How are things with fos-"

"Shh!" I cut her off and glance around the bustling hallway, "Not so loud, please."

"Right," Brooklyn nodded, "They don't know you're in the system."

"And it like for it to stay that way," I sighed, grabbing Brooklyn's arm and pulling her out to the front steps of the school, "Okay, now we can talk - I've been fine, great actually," I mentally kicked myself when I heard the sarcastic edge in my voice. Brooklyn heard it, too.

"Truth," she pressed.

"Fine," I sat down on the steps and watched the traffic outside the school, "I'm in my third home since you left six months ago and the first two were...not fabulous, but this third one is actually pretty okay."

Brooklyn nudged my shoulder with her own, "That's good. See Ryder, I told you things would start looking up."

"I want to believe that they care for me, but... Brook, what if it's like what happened with the Carlsons? What if I open myself up and I get my heart broken?"

Brooklyn put her hand on my knee, "The Carlsons were horrible people who couldn't see the real you. They cared for you, Ryder, then you came out and their tiny little egos were shattered because you're different. Don't let what happened with the Carlsons close you off for good."

"It's not just the Carlsons, Brooklyn," I sighed, "Everyone who I love and open myself up to always ends up breaking my heart. I can't... I can't go through that again, Brook, I just can't."

Brooklyn moved her hand from my knee to around my back and I rest my head on her shoulder, "Not everyone deserts you, Ryder," She whispered, "I'm still here, Oliver's still here. Well, I mean, Oliver's not here-here, but he's here. Don't let what happened with the Carlsons or the Geoffrys or the Johnsons prevent you from the good home you're in now. Just remember, Ryder, I'm always here for you."

I felt her lips on my head and almost instantly pressed closer. I'm broken and I know that, but Brooklyn makes me feel whole again. She knows exactly what to say to make me feel better and when she doesn't, she holds me and it just there.

"What did I ever do to deserve you, Brooklyn?" I mumbled, wiping my tears away when we heard the warning bell for the end of lunch.

Brooklyn helped me to my feet and planted a kiss on my temple, "You were you," she told me before leading me back inside and to our next class.

I found Brooklyn at our lockers when the final bell rang. She was packing up her backpack and talking to Oliver.

"I want to meet your foster family," Brooklyn announced when Oliver left.

"Excuse me?" I opened my locker and pulled out my backpack.

Brooklyn leaned against the locker beside mine, "Please, Ryder, I'm a good judge of character. Please let me do this for you."

I sighed, "Fine," I agreed, "I just have to ask." I handed my bag over to Brooklyn and took out my phone. I found Laura's contact and called her.

"Hey, Matrix, how was school?" I heard Laura's voice as the dial tone disappeared.

"It was good," I replied and saw Brooklyn roll her eyes, "I was just wondering, Laura, could I have a friend over?"

"Of course! Are you bringing them to the apartment or to the theatre?"

"I was thinking the theatre, but if the apartment is easier, I'm okay with that," I bit my tongue.

"Nope, the theatre is fine. I'll see you soon, okay, Ryder?"

"Right. See you soon, Laura," I hung up and reclaimed my backpack from Brooklyn, "You ready to go? My foster mother said that you can."

"I like her already," Brooklyn gave me a warm smile and hooked her arm through mine, pulling me out of the school and into the subway.

Brooklyn and I gave up our seats to a pregnant woman and her six-year-old son. We got into a conversation with her and entertained her son when she fell asleep, waking her only when it was her stop. Brooklyn and I, on the other hand, rode a few more stops before getting off at Times Square and 42nd. It was my turn to pull Brooklyn through the ever-present Times Square crowd - right up to the Music Box Theatre stage door where we were buzzed in. I did notice the looks Brooklyn kept sending me, but I ignored them. I knew she knew where we were and I knew she knew who was here.