Anybody have a Map?

**Mike's POV**

I felt bad. I had to miss Ryder's custody hearing because of an audition and the entire time I'd been extremely anxious to hear the news. I was sitting in my apartment staring at my phone for who knows how long before a message finally came through from Laura: 

Judge made his decision, it read, Meet me at my apartment.

I instantly ran out the door and was at Laura's door less than twenty minutes later. Laura opened the door before I could knock. Her eyes were pink and puffy and her cheeks were tear-streaked.

"What...?" I couldn't finish the sentence because Laura started crying again and I drew her against my chest, "What happened in court this morning?"

"Ryder - she, she's in juvie."

I did a double-take, "What? Juvie? What happened?"

"Ryder's cousin showed up and the judge announced joint custody between the two of us. Ryder got mad and punched a bailiff. She's in juvie for two days and when she's released she's with me for four days and she's at her cousin's for three days."

I hugged my castmate tighter, "It's okay," I told her, "Ryder will be okay. She's a tough girl. Hey, why don't we go visit her?"

We got into a conversation with a man in a military uniform on the subway. His nephew was a fan and we signed a piece of paper for him. We got off and walked the five blocks to the New York City Juvenile Detention Facility. We requested to see Ryder and were escorted to a visitation room and brought to a table. Ryder was brought in a few minutes later. Her eyes were cold and she was wearing a gray uniform. Her eyes softened when she saw us, then gave us each a hug.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, sitting down across from us.

"We were worried about you," I explained, "Laura told me what happened in court today and we wanted to make sure you were okay."

"I'm fine," Ryder promised, "This place is nothing compared to what I've been through before. Besides, it's only a few days. The last time I was in juvie, it was for maybe three months. I can handle two days."

"That's what I'm worried about," Laura leaned forward against the table, "Why doesn't this scare you? Ryder, you're in juvie."

Ryder's eyes hardened again, "Do you know what this place is called? It's called the Puppy-Pen because this is a candy shop compared to where I've been before. This doesn't scare me because where I was before I met you was called Hell." She took a breath, "I appreciate that you're worried about me because it's nice having someone who cares, but Laura, Mike, please - you just have to trust that I'll be okay."

"We do trust you," Laura took Ryder's hand, "But we love you and that means that we're going to worry about you, Matrix."

"I love you guys, too," Ryder said, "But, please, I don't want to have to lie to you."

"'Lie to us'? What are you talking about?" I asked, "Are you lying to us when you say that you're going to be fine?"

Ryder rolled her shoulders and rubbed her forehead, "Laura, Mike, I trust you more than I've trusted anyone in my life since my parents, okay? That trust does not come easily. Now, I just need you to trust me too. No matter what you're told or what happens to me, I need you to know that I love you and I'm still the same Ryder I've always been. Do you trust me?"

"We do," Laura nodded, "We trust you, Ryder."

Ryder nodded and sat back, "Good. I'm going to hold you to that."

We talked for a while longer and I, too, saw what Laura did about Ryder being a little too comfortable. I wanted to bring it up again, but we'd promised her that we'd trust her so I left it untouched. We talked about school and work and Ryder asked us to let Brooklyn know she was in juvie again.

After an hour, a guard came and we had to leave so Ryder could go back to her cell or room or whatever they had.

"I'm worried about her," I told Laura while we were on the subway, "And visiting her didn't do anything to calm my nerves."

"Yeah..." Laura agreed, "This would be so much easier if we had a map."

I rolled my eyes at her reference, "Haha, Laura, very funny."

Hey, all! What do you think is going to happen where Ryder was driving home the fact that they needed to trust each other. Also, if anyone caught the Arrow reference in this chapter - bonus points.

Stay safe and healthy,

                        -Spaceheater1