There's Nowhere Else I'd Rather Be

**Ryder's POV**

"Hey, Matrix, you ready?" Laura called from the living room. I look at myself in the mirror in my bedroom - white dress, braided hair, and all.

"Be there in a minute!" I shouted back. Today, Laura and I are going to be appearing in court to finalize the adoption.

Laura knocked on my door and came in, "You okay, kiddo?"

I nodded, "Yeah, of course. Why?"

Laura wrapped her arms around my shoulders and looked at me in the mirror, "You sounded nervous."

I smiled lightly, "It's okay, I'm okay."

"I know you're lying, but I'm going to ignore it because we're going to be late unless we leave right now," Laura pulled me away from the mirror and carried me to the subway.

"I hate dresses," I tugged on the hem of my dress.

Laura laughed, "Then, why did you agree to wear a dress today?"

At the courthouse, Laura kept her arm around my shoulder as we entered a room. The only people in the room were a bailiff and my social worker, Mr. Iver.

"Hey, kiddo," Mr. Iver came over and we high-fived, "How are you doing?"

"Been worse," I grinned, "I'm doing pretty awesome, though."

"I have something to tell you..." Mr. Iver started and my smile faded.

"No," I shook my head, taking a few steps back until I was pressed against Laura, "No-no-no. It's never good when you say that!"

"Calm down, Ryder, please," Mr. Iver held up his hands, "Look - It just happened. We have no idea why it took so long or what happened, but he just showed up."

"'He'?" I demanded and felt Laura's hand on my arm.

"Hey, Ryder! Long time, no see!"

I froze and turned slowly around. It took everything I had to not run to a corner and curl up. My heart skipped a beat when I saw my second cousin, twice removed standing there with his signature evil grin.

"No..." I mumbled, pressing closer against Laura. I squeezed my eyes shut, then met Colin's eyes, "W-What are you doing here?"

"I heard that you're in foster care and decided I should take my place as your cousin."

"Second," I scowled, "Second cousin, twice removed."

"That doesn't make us not family," Colin laughed and I could almost smell the alcohol on his breath. 

"If you wanted to be my family, you wouldn't have shown up!"

"Aww, Ryder," Colin sauntered toward us, "Don't act like that."

"Stay away from me!" I took a step away and Laura pulled me closer.

"Suit yourself, kiddo," Colin leaned down, "But I don't think you need me to remind you that biological family has a priority over holdings."

"You can't hide your history from the judge," I spat back, "Jail and rehab doesn't look good when you're trying to adopt someone that you don't care about."

"You're one to talk," Colin shot back.

"Screw you, Colin," I rolled my shoulders, "Screw you."

"Watch. Your. Tongue, brat!" Colin grabbed the collar of my shirt, but Laura pushed him away and drew me behind her.

"Don't you dare touch her!"

I don't think I had ever seen her mad, but after this experience, I wasn't sure I wanted to ever again. I was relieved that there had been two people in the room also because they had seen how Colin acted. I had spoken to other foster kids who'd gotten adopted and they said that when your foster parents were being opposed by someone, you got to choose.

My only worry barely half an hour ago had been about my dress. That was now the least of my problems. I couldn't care less about my clothing.

Colin stalked over to one of the benches and Laura held me close, "Are you okay, Trix?" she asked.

"Y-Yeah," I took a shaky breath, "I'm good."

"I don't believe that," Laura ran a hand over my head.

I looked up at her and leaned against her chest, "I really just don't want to end up with him."

Laura kissed the top of my head, "You won't, not if I have anything to say about it. Do you trust me?"

I took a breath and met her gaze, "I do."