Falling in a Forest

**Ryder's POV**

"Can you do this for me?" I asked kleptomaniac, Madeline Oscars during lunch.

Madeline raised her eyebrow, "You're asking me to punch you?"

"I will let you win, but you need to get me in bad enough shape to put me in the hospital."

"Were you dropped on your head as a baby?"

"Most likely," I replied nonchalantly, "But please, Madeline - will you do this?"

"What's in it for me?"

"I won't bash your head into the floor," I tipped my head.

"Fine," Madeline gave me a sly smile, "But I'm calling it now - quid pro quo."

I released a deep breath, "Fine. Quid pro quo," We shook hands.

Madeline jumped up and gave me a strong right hook to the jaw. I turned my head with the punch and touched my jaw, checking for blood in my teeth. I gave Madeline a small nod and she gave me another punch in the nose. I launched myself at her across the table, but let her tackle me to the ground. She planted a kick to my ribs and I felt three or more crack. She punched my face again and landed a second blow onto my collarbone.

"Easy on the face," I managed, "It's my moneymaker." Madeline punched my eye, "That's a shiner," I groaned.

"You asked me to do this," Madeline whispered so only I could hear, "And I agreed, but I'm going to do it my way."

A jailmate of ours jumped in and pulled Madeline off me. Through my blurred vision, I recognized Jessica Kole as she stamped on my stomach. Between the two of them working together, I was on the verge of going unconscious by the time the guards finally succeeded in pulling the two off me.

"3940," I heard a guard say to me, "Are you alright?"

I released a small groan both for extra effect and because I was in pain and let my eyes flutter closed.

"Someone call for an ambulance!" someone shouted.

Good job, Madeline. This was exactly what I was going for.

**Laura's POV**

I held my phone up to my ear, "Hello?"

"Ms. Dreyfuss? Hi, this is Iver McPatricks, I'm Ryder's social worker."

"Yes, hi. Is everything okay?"

"There was an incident at the Detention Center. Ryder was in rough condition and en route to Hudson Children's Hospital last I heard."

"Oh my God! Is she okay?"

"I am not sure, Ms. Dreyfuss," Mr. McPatricks said, "I was only able to get so much information out of the Warden. Since you have partial custody over Ryder, I am required to let you know as much as I can. We won't know more for a few hours but you must get to the hospital before my superiors from CPS and Social Services do. Can you do that?"

"Of course, yes," I was flustered as I ran to the door, "I'll be there as soon as I can."

On my way to the hospital, I called Mike and filled him in. He and Mr. McPatricks were waiting for me when I ran into the lobby.

"Where is she?" I demanded.

"She's in surgery," Mr. McPatricks told me, "They can't tell me much but I do know she has a few broken ribs and a fractured clavicle."

"Oh, God," I rubbed my forehead, "What happened? Mike and I saw her yesterday and she was fine."

"A fight broke out between her and a few of the other inmates," Mr. McPatricks explained slowly, "Their injuries were light enough that they could be treated at the infirmary at the prison but she had to be moved here."

Mike rubbed my shoulder and lead me over to the collection of uncomfortable chairs. I noticed the looks that the two of us were getting, particularly from teenagers, but they didn't act on it, which I was thankful for. They seemed to accept that now was not the best time because both of us were in the hospital waiting room waiting for any news.

As if he read my mind, Mike whispered, "No news is good news."

"I know," I sighed, "I just wish we could get actual good news."

Mike didn't say anything. Mr. McPatricks joined us soon after and the three of us sat in silence for hours before a doctor finally came over.

"Family of Ryder Lukassen

We stood up.

"Is she okay?" I asked.

"The beating Ryder took was extensive. She had four broken ribs, which we set, and a fractured clavicle, which we also took care of. She's in recovery now. You can see her, but be warned - it looks worse than it is."

I let out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding and felt my shoulders slump. The doctor led me and Mike to Ryder's room while Mr. McPatricks stayed behind to fill out paperwork. She was right about it looking bad. Ryder's nose was taped and there was a large bruise had formed over her eye. I could see the edges of a bandage under her gown and all of her exposed skin was peppered in bruises. Ryder was hooked up to at least five different machines, each giving a different reading that I didn't understand.

I ran to the bedside and clutched her hand.

"Oh my God, Ryder," I said through an exhale, brushing the stray locks of her dark brown hair back and tucking them behind her ear. Mike sat down on the bed behind me and placed a hand on Ryder's leg.

"How come she looks so calm?" asked Mike.

I released a soft laugh, "Ryder always looks calmer than she should be."

There's a sharp intake of breath and a quiet, "Blessing and curse," from Ryder.

"Matrix?" I slide closer to her on the bed, "Oh my God, Ryder, are you okay? What happened?"

"How do you feel?" Mike asked, shrugging at the glare I gave him.

"Alive," Ryder groaned, her unbruised eye blinking open a little more, "What're you doing here?"

"Your social worker called us. He said you had gotten into a fight and you were in the hospital. I called Mike and here we are."

"Good," Ryder squeezed my hand slightly, "I'm glad you're here."

"We wouldn't be anywhere else," I promised, laying down beside her.