Quarantine

**Laura's POV**

"Come on, Ryder," I grabbed her wrists and dragged her out of bed, "You can't sit in bed all day."

Ryder snorted, "Watch me."

"Nope, come on, Trix. We're going to bake something."

Ryder groaned, but let me drag her out of bed, "This isn't Waitress, Mom, or The Great British Baking Show."

"No," I agreed, "It doesn't have to look pretty, but it should taste good. I've got a recipe picked out."

"Then what do you need me for?"

"You're my daughter and I want to do something with you."

Ryder put a shirt on over her bra and joined me in the kitchen. I showed her the recipe and she read it carefully.

"You do know I can't bake, right?" She asked, "Like, I'm a mess. I'm an okay cook, but baking just isn't going to happen. I don't even know the difference between Baking Soda and Baking Powder."

"I'll teach you."

Ryder looked skeptical, but agreed.

She was right. She was not a good baker, but it was fun. I taught her how to crack eggs and set the oven and how to "fold in chocolate chips" while using an electric mixer.

When the cookies were baking, I found Ryder in the couch, just staring at the ceiling.

"You okay?" I sat down with her.

"I'm bored. So, so bored. I haven't left this apartment in the past five months for anything other than a walk to the end of the street then back, I've read every book in this place, and I've finished Netflix. And Amazon. And Hulu." She sat up and met my eyes evenly, "And I'm so close to finishing YouTube. There's maybe six more videos, then I'm done."

"What do you plan on doing next then?"

"Memorizing The Godfather and The Matrix and performing one-woman shows for my mirror?"

"How about two-woman shows?" I suggested, "You can't shoot yourself from four toll booths while hiding inside a car."

Ryder gave me a tired look, "It's cute that you think I can't figure it out, but I appreciate the offer. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to watch a really long, really confusing movie some eleven times with the captions on and hopefully transcribe it all perfectly."

"Have fun."

"I probably won't, but thanks."

Two days later, Ryder has me at finger-gunpoint as we yell at each other in really bad Brooklyn-Italian-hybrid accents.

I know that was really short. Please let me know if you want me to do anything more.

Stay safe, stay healthy, and vote!

                -Spaceheater1