Chapter XLI

You stood alone now. A couple of ladies sat across the room looking at you, waving their fans in front of their faces. "No doubt, that there would be gossip." You thought, sitting back down on the sofa. "Can I get you anything ma'am?" A member of staff asked you. "Some tea would be nice." "Right away." He bowed and stepped away. You tried to get comfortable sitting there awaiting for Ciel's return. "(Y/N)?" A feminine voice called out behind you. You turned to see a young women about your age, "Grace?" You questioned standing up. "Yes!" The girl beamed. "I hardly recognized you! You look gorgeous!" You smiled, "You look beautiful yourself. It's been too long. Please sit with me!" You motioned to the sofa you were sitting on. "You never responded to my letter (Y/N). I had no idea about your father and I concerned when you were not responding back. I made a trip to your home but they said that you not longer reside there. I found out through some gossip that you were staying with Lord Phantomhive. So I wrote to his home." You two held hands. "So much as happened Grace, I was unable to respond in a  timely manner to you and -" You paused as she looked at your finger. "(Y/N)," she let her voice drop to an almost whisper. "You're engaged?!" She beamed. "To Lord Phantomhive I presume? The ladies say that he would never accept any marriage proposal. Say that he is too busy in his business and affairs to worry about a wife. Especially after calling off his previous arrangement. He's always so distant and cold from others unless he has some business with them. If any women could see a better side in him, it's definitely you (Y/N)!" You smiled slightly, "Yes, I am engaged to Lord Phantomhive. He only brought the proposal to me recently. We have nothing settled yet for a wedding." She was beyond enthusiastic. "Please let me know if you need anything dear, after all I did go through a wedding myself already." You smiled kindly, "How is Charles?" "Oh, he stills enjoys hunting with the staff and his brother. Nothing has changed." She let out a chuckle. 

The staff member returned with tea. The both of you took a sip. "So tell me, what is Lord Phantomhive like? I only here from the murmurs among the other women." She questioned. You paused for moment thinking how you sell this to your old friend, no doubt that she'll spread the news like wildfire to others. "Well although he is a very busy man, he does make time for us to court. He's a very thoughtful gentleman and does make me happy." She put her hand over her heart. "This truly is a Christmas miracle that you are finally happily engaged. I remember when your father would try to present suitors to you, no matter how much you wish to please him, you still turned them away. I am sure your father is beyond thrilled from the heavens seeing you settle down with such a man." You nodded and continued to sip your tea. "Tell me, you know that I am not in all of the ladies' social circles like you, what else do they say of Lord Phantomhive?" She placed her cup down, "Well," she straightened her skirt some. "They say that when he lost his family, he returned with that butler of his, and rebuilt his home. He never appeared at social events unless conducting and searching for business relations. Some believe that the Lord wears that eye patch because he got into a horrible gang fight one time in London but others think that it was from the fire that destroyed his home. Needless to say, he is one of the most mysterious men in England's social elite. I can almost guarantee some of the people here never seen his face but knows of his name." You nodded. "Lord Phantomhive plans on announcing the engagement this evening with Lord Underwrite's permission. Please do keep it to yourself until the Lord shares the news Grace." You took out your fan and began to cool yourself in the warm room. "Of course (Y/N)!" You spent some more time catching up with your old friend. You found out that she is to expecting a baby soon hopefully and that she has taken up needle point again. She was surprised to here that Lord Phantomhive allowed you to continue conducting business even after marriage. 

Music began to play and Charles came to collect his wife. "Let's continue to chat later my dear old friend." She called out walking away to waltz with her husband. You smiled and waved goodbye. You enjoyed some more tea, it wasn't exactly the best quality you noted. "Could use some sugar" you thought. Almost right on cue, a man placed a sugar bowl and some cream down next to your tea pot. "Honestly," the voice spoke. "What kind of staff doesn't place cream and sugar out for a guest while serving tea? How disgraceful." You looked up to see Sebastian standing before you. "Thank you Sebastian." You placed your cup down and he placed a sugar cube in for you. You stirred it around and drank from the cup. "Sebastian," you called out as he began to step away. "Please find out where this tea comes from." He bowed and walked away. Even with sugar, it still wasn't pleasant. You were determined to know who created such a blend, they should be ashamed to present such a product. You placed the cup down. "Apologizes Lady Belmont," you looked to see Ciel return. "I did not mean to leave you on your own." You nodded. "It's not an issue my Lord, I was able to speak to an old friend of mine in the meantime." You rose from your spot to stand next to the Lord. "Was everything settle with Lord Underwrite?" You questioned. "Yes." He plainly stated. You nodded and grab his arm in yours. He looked down at your arm wrapped around his'. You gave him a small, joking smile, "Appearances, my Lord." He rolled his eyes but didn't let go of you. "What shall we do?" You questioned him. He took you around the group of the other couples dancing. You looked at them spinning around, smiles on their faces, and joy in their eyes. You remember father hiring a tutor for you to learn to dance and you would practice with father on days that the tutor was not present. You wondered if the Lord knew how to dance. "Even if he did, I'm sure he wouldn't want too." You thought. Ciel held to your arm firmly still. You stepped out of the ballroom and into the hall. "A stroll and a chat." You figured.