Chapter 12

"I can explain." I half insist, half plead. Panic fills my head. I can't be exposed. A human who finds out about my magic could blow my cover. And where would that leave me?

"Well, that's magic I've never seen before." Isaac mutters. "Are you from Topia?"

I stare at him, wide eyed. For a few seconds, I feel paralysed. When I find my voice, I speak unsteadily. "You're seelie?"

He laughs. "You must be from Topia. And that explains you're accent. I'm an angel, by the way. And you are?"

"A witch. And since I don't have to give a false explanation, I've never seen magic like it before either. Can we go somewhere more private? I don't feel comfortable having this discussion here." He cannot find out about my heritage, but maybe he can help me figure out the problem with the cut.

"Of course. Would you feel more comfortable in your room?"

"Yes. I would."

Drinks and Sizzling Sounds are forgotten. In silence, we walk the few minutes to Ash House. We sit side by side on my bed.

"There was a fight back on Topia." I confess. "Well, it was less of a fight, more of an attack. I don't know who they are or why they attacked me. Anyway, one of them grazed me with a dagger." I roll up the sleeve of my dress. "The wound won't heal. I tried magic initially, and it was a week ago so it should be healing naturally by now. But it's still there.

"I think their may have been poison on the dagger, but what happened tonight is the first effect I've noticed. Do you have any idea what it could be?"

"None, unfortunately. Have you tried using a unicorn's horn?"

"No. I fled to Earth as soon as I lost the attackers. And I highly doubt I'd find a unicorn on Earth, never mind one willing to use their healing magic on me." Although it is possible they may deem a princess worthy, I don't add.

"Do you mind if I try touching it again?" Isaac asks.

"Go ahead."

He cautiously reaches towards the cut. Incredibly gently, he strokes a finger along the red line. Smoke swirls upwards again as he snatches his hand back.

"What did you feel?" He inquires.

"Just the ache of an unhealed wound. Nothing strange at all. You?"

"It's a burning sensation. Not as hot as accidently touching an oven, it's more like a radiator."

Despite the serious topic, I can't help giggling. "You have a funny way of explaining things."

"Glad I could be of service." He grins. "Is there something I can do to help? Mix potions? Skim through books?"

"I don't know. I haven't tried anything else myself because I expected it to at least heal naturally. But it hasn't, and I haven't heard of a situation like it before. Usually we heal faster than humans, not slower. The only time rapid healing ever fails is when the wound is fatal." I stop, realising what I just said. Isaac's face tells me he's come to the same conclusion.

"We have to get that poison out of you." His tone is determined.

"Can you cast out your magic? I would've done it a week ago if I could sense my own body."

"Sure." He closes his eyes, and I feel his magic as it scours the room, trying to sense anything magical. "I can feel your magic. And the wound. But, is that? No. It can't be." He pulls his magic back into him. Then he runs out of the room. I hear him throw up in the toilet.

Concerned, I get up and stand outside the door for him. Waiting, I pull my sleeve back down.

"Are you okay?" I call after a minute.

"I'm okay now. That felt horrible though. It was like I was suddenly filled with negative energy; except I know I wasn't." Negative energy is produced by evil uses of magic.

"Do you know what it was?" I ask hesitantly.

Isaac walks out of the bathroom and looks me straight in the eyes. "I think it was dark water."

My heart skips a beat. Dark water? Magical water from the dark realm. Normal magical water has healing properties, so I guess it makes sense that I can't heal with dark water in my system. I also know that dark water does, in fact, contain negative energy, which I'm surprised hasn't made me sick.

"Do you know what dark water can do?" My voice comes out as a whisper.

"No. The only reason I recognised it is because I once found a vial of it in a shop."

"Then I guess we know what we need to research."

He takes both my hands in his. "I know we only just met, but we'll get you through this together. I'm here for you. Is there anything else I need to know?"

I think about my royal upbringing. It's a relief he doesn't know who I really am. I never really wanted anyone on Earth knowing my true identity, but now it actually matters.

"Nothing important. But I have a friend who can get access to plenty of Topian books that could tell us something useful." If I can figure out a safe way to contact Helena. "And there might be some magic books on campus as well; I signed up for occult society earlier."

"You didn't. There's no point bothering with witchcraft when we have the real thing." He criticises.

"Judge all you want. I find it amusing what humans actually believe about magic. Plus, I thought I was going to have to hide my real magic all year. I just wanted some connection to it."

"Well, I'm here now."

"Yes, but you can't tell anyone about what I've told you tonight. The attackers could come back."

"Why? Do you think it was a targeted attack?"

I've said too much. That last sentence shouldn't have come out of my mouth. It's too late now.

"Possibly. They gave chase after I ran. If I wasn't specifically targeted, I don't think they would have bothered chasing me round the town."

"But you don't know why anyone would target you?" Isaac seems too suspicious.

My mum's indifferent face at the sight of the first arrow flashes across my mind. I remember the tiara stuffed in the back of my wardrobe. I should probably destroy what I wore that night, but I can't seem to bring myself to do it.

"No. I don't. But I need your word that you won't say anything. Please."

"I won't. And that's a promise."

And, for some reason, I believe him.

Author's notes:

Thank you to everyone who has supported me so far; you have no idea how much it means. I have recently set up a bookstagram account with the username csutcliffebooks. This account will feature posts about published books, as well as my own writing. If you don't want to check it out, that's fine. I just wanted to tell you about it so you know the option is there.