Chapter 5

"You haven't read it before, have you?" Nessa asks me. In my hands is my present from her; a novel about a mythical female warrior who lived many millennia ago and was supposedly half-dragon. The cover is black faux dragon scales with curvy golden lettering.

"No, but I've been hoping to get a copy of it." I grin.

"Okay. My turn." Helena announces. We are all sat in a triangle on my bed, which reminds me of when we were children. Helena hands over a silvery gift box.

I remove the lid to find a snow globe inside. Lifting it up, I can see the inside clearly. The scene is actually a miniature replica of the palace. I recognise the dome in the center where the ballroom is, and the two turrets: Crown Tower (private for the king and queen) and Traitor's Tower (dungeons for those who commit the most heinous crimes). Golden glitter waltzes and whirls as I shake the ornament.

"I love it." My eyes linger on the globe as I speak.

"It's to remind you of home when you leave. I know sometimes you hate it here, but you can't deny the good times you've also had. Especially when we were younger."

"Thanks so much for this."

"Right, let's fix up your makeup." Helena gets up to fetch some supplies from my vanity. "I don't think it's as bad as you thought it was going to be, but there's no harm in a little extra beautifying."

"Is 'beautifying' even a word?" Nessa questions.

"Of course it is. Maybe I should get you a dictionary when your birthday comes around."

Nessa sticks out her tongue and we all burst out laughing.

Five minutes later, my makeup is as fresh as it was this morning. My friends don't need any pampering. Helena wears her ginger hair in a fancy updo, with a silver diadem representing her royal status. Her ruby red ballgown is beautiful due to its simplicity. Nessa's ballgown is made of so many shades of blue that it looks like the sea. Tiny opals adorn her dress and loose mousey hair.

"So, what's the deal with you and my brother?" I ask Helena.

"What do you mean?"

"You've been overeager to see him recently." Nessa comes to my defence. "There must be a reason."

"So what if I like seeing him?"

"Quit using questions as a defence and just spill it."

"Fine." Helena hesitates. "He kissed me."

"I thought I saw the attraction on your end, but I can't believe he made the move."

"You've kissed Marco?" I need to repeat it out loud to shake the disbelief. "You know he lets his body speak instead of his heart. Right?"

"I'm well aware. That's why I've always stopped him from going any further. It's just a bit of fun for both of us, but I'm not stupid."

"So you've kissed him multiple times? Wait. I'm not sure I want you to answer that."

"Multiple times, yes. But I won't give you any more details."

"Tell me later." Nessa pitches in.

"Tell you what, later?" Liam walks into the room.

"Liam!" I half shriek. "We could've been naked in here."

"Three beautiful, noble ladies in a state of undress. Sounds like a dream." He flops down on the bed, turning our triangle into a sort-of square. "So, what's the conversation?"

"Dresses." Nessa answers.

"Periods." Helena says at the same time. We all giggle.

"You may keep your secrets for today. Happy birthday, by the way, Alyssa. This is for you." Liam holds out a sheathed dagger to me.

When I unsheathe it, I marvel at the simple but impressive design. The golden handle is plain except for a single opal. Swirling patterns are carved into one side of the silver blade. "Woah." Is all I can say.

"A sword would be conspicuous on Earth, but you can still keep a dagger with you for protection should you need it."

"That's very thoughtful. But I'm not sure that carrying even a dagger is normal, or legal."

"You can hide it easily under your clothes, though." Helena argues.

"And the government's magical department can clear up any legal issues that arise." Nessa points out.

"True enough." I agree, sheathing the dagger once more.

"So, Liam, is this your first time in Alyssa's bedroom?"

"Helena!" I scold as I playfully slap her on the arm.

"What?" She puts on an innocent face. "I think it's only fair since you interrogated me."

"No." Liam answers. "I have been in here before. But we will never be more than friends, so get your mind out the gutter Helena." Although his words are light-hearted, something more serious glistens in his eyes. "Anyway, I only came in today to give Alyssa her gift."

"Aww. Shame." Nessa says disappointedly.

"I'll see you ladies at the ball." Liam bows before walking out the room.

"Goodbye Liam." I call after him.

"He's so dreamy." Nessa swoons. "You're so lucky Alyssa. You get to stare at him whenever you like."

"I'll admit he's good looking." I begin. "But he's not my type. I'd prefer someone a little less... involved in politics. Hopefully I'll meet someone at university, whether they're seelie or unseelie." Magical or not. "And besides, we've become good friends in the past year. I know you've both only met him a handful of times, but he's free game for you." I give Nessa an encouraging look.

"I'd love to, but I can't start anything with him. I'm the only member of my family left. I need an alliance, not a romance."

"Then have some fun before you're all bound up by marriage." Helena jumps in.

"If only I could. But you know how judgy most of the nobility can be. I need my options open. Although, maybe I can come to an arrangement with my future husband and have some fun with Liam in the future."

"Oh, scandalous." I tease. We all burst out into a fit of giggles.

"Let's take a selfie to remember today by." Helena suggests.

"Photo or not, I don't think I could ever forget." I reply as I take out my phone. Helena and Nessa scooch in beside me and we all grin wildly at the camera.

The rest of the day passes in a blur. Helena, Nessa and I spend most of the day chatting and relaxing. Evening approaches far too quickly. My friends have to go back to their own rooms so we can all have beauty touch-ups. Dread wraps me up in a blanket as I prepare for my final royal appearance, and the announcement of its finality.