Chapter 19

"What do you think of this?" Megan points out a fluffy pastel-blue rug. We're out shopping in the nearby town with Eliza and Zoey.

"Oh, that would totally match our navy sofas." Zoey squeals. She reaches out to stroke the rolled-up rug like she's petting a puppy. "And it's so soft."

"But look at the price." Eliza says. We all look and despair at the expense. I could buy out the entire shop if I wanted to, but I'm supposed to be from a middle-class background.

"I'm sure we could find a cheaper one just like it online." I try to compromise between my head and heart.

"Yeah." Zoey sighs, giving it one final stroke before we leave the rug behind.

"Am I the only one who's hungry?" Eliza asks as we walk out onto the street.

Colourful signs hang above windows that shine in the early-afternoon sun. Shops show off their trinkets, displaying everything from gleaming jewellery to stuffed toys, wedding gowns to fancy bikes. People lounge on comfy chairs in restaurants and cafés, sipping beverages and nibbling food. The vibrancy reminds me of home.

"No. That café over there looks good." I gesture towards a café with a black sign that reads 'Snack!' in white lettering. A couple sat on cushioned wooden chairs outside share a mouth-watering slice of iced cake. "Fancy a bit of cake?"

"Sounds good to me." Megan agrees.

After much deliberation, I pay for a slice of chocolate cake. A hint of envy fills me as Eliza selects a blueberry muffin. Megan goes for lemon drizzle and Zoey chooses a chocolate brownie. We all order a cup of coffee before sitting down in a booth.

"So," I begin. "What does everyone think of Halloween?" Or All-Hallows, as it's known by seelies. Only a week away, I plan on buying my outfit this afternoon.

"I love it." Eliza states dreamily. "All the costumes and magic."

"And scary films." Megan adds.

"No." Eliza and Zoey say at the same time.

"Horror films always give me nightmares." Zoey continues with a shiver. "I prefer watching Halloween specials of TV shows; they're never as scary. Or a rom-com would be even better."

"There must be a Halloween-themed rom-com we can all watch together." I suggest.

"You guys are no fun." Megan pouts.

"Maybe us two can stay up a little later and watch a second, scarier film." Megan's face lights up as I speak.

"And me and Eliza can go out partying." Zoey says excitedly.

"No thanks. I'd rather go trick or treating." Eliza contradicts.

"You still do that?"

"Of course. The university's even running an organised trail around the campus. It's supposed to be more like a treasure hunt than traditional knocking on people's doors."

"I've seen that." I say. "There are supposed to be these riddles to solve, that lead you to where the sweets are hidden. Then if you solve the final riddle, there's a big surprise waiting."

"I've heard it was a spooky photo booth last year." Megan adds. "With cobwebs and pumpkins and stuff."

"But then couldn't anyone just use it if they saw it?" Zoey questions.

"I think you have to prove you've solved all the riddles." I answer.

"What, with photos?"

"Probably."

"Mm. This cake is so delicious." Zoey chews as she speaks.

"I know." Megan agrees. "We should come back here again."

"I can't decide what costume to wear for Halloween." Eliza says. "Should I dress as a witch or a fairy?"

"I'm going as a witch." I say. I plan on taking full advantage of the one night of the year I don't have to hide my magic from humans. It's why Earthen seelies hype up All-Hallows so much. "We could go as sister witches."

"But witches are so common on Halloween." Megan argues. "Maybe a fairy would spice things up a bit more." She nods towards Zoey. "Casting vote?"

"Fairy. Definitely fairy."

"Sorry Ally." Eliza apologises. "Maybe we can all match next year."

"Oh, there must be a four-piece girl band we can dress as." Zoey says. "Anyway, I'm dressing up as a demon next week. I have this gorgeous red party dress and these killer heels. I just need to find some horns today."

"I'm keeping my costume a secret." Megan gives us a wicked grin.

"Please tell." Zoey pleads.

"We've all shared our outfit plans." I add.

"Nah ah." Megan shakes her head. The grin remains. "You'll just have to wait and see."

"So you don't need to buy anything for it later?"

"Nope. I already have everything I need."

My phone beeps at the same time as Eliza's.

"Oh. Occult society is running a special meeting in the afternoon on Halloween." Eliza reads the text message. "I wonder what we'll be doing."

"Maybe a spell." Zoey snickers.

"Shut up." I slap her playfully on the arm. "Is there anything anyone needs to buy aside from costumes?"

"I was hoping to get some scented candles." Megan says.

"I like those too." Eliza says. "They're great for baths."

"I know, right?"

"I want to decorate our house for next week. Think we can find a few pumpkins? Oh, and maybe something to hang on the front door?" Zoey is practically bouncing in her seat.

"We could smear fake blood on the door." I suggest.

"Or we could smear the blood on the windows, like handprints."

"Sounds like a plan." Megan agrees. "Hey, is everyone ready to get back to shopping?"

"I certainly am." Zoey replies.

I drain the last of my coffee before following the other girls back out onto the street.

In the shops, I find a lacy black cocktail dress for my witch's 'costume'. It has long sleeves and a slit down one leg that would be considered too scandalous for me to wear at the palace. Topian nobility is still known for its traditional values, despite many attempts at modernisation.

I also buy accessories.

Eliza purchases a fairy costume. She and Megan both buy lavender scented candles.

Zoey gets red demon horns that clip into her hair, as well as a few new clothes completely unrelated to All-Hallows.

We all pool our money together to buy a large tube of fake blood, four pumpkins, and yellow tape that reads 'CAUTION' in black font.

On the bus back to campus, my phone beeps again.

'Fancy joining me 4 a gig tomorrow nite @ The Live Room?'

I can't help wondering if Isaac has found out something useful. Or if he means it as a date date or a friends date.

I text him back to say 'yes', but I'm not entirely sure what I'm expecting, or even what I want.