Chapter 57

I sit on the wooden bench beneath the willow tree, idly twiddling my fingers. Isaac stands behind me, offering comfort in the form of his hands on my shoulders.

"What if they don't come?" I wonder aloud.

"They'll be here. Just give them another minute."

Silence. And then...

Leaves rustle us the dangling branches of the ancient tree are swept aside.

Nessa's wary face peers through the greenery. Her eyes light up the moment she spots me. She races forward, barely giving me time to stand before she throws her arms around me. "It's really her!" She shouts in delight. Tears stream down her face.

Helena comes bounding under the willow a moment later. I let loose a wild laugh. I never thought I would see my friends again. Isaac steps back as the three of us girls share a group hug.

"We thought you were dead!" Helena exclaims as we pull out of the embrace.

"It's a long story." I reply. "But I've been in hiding."

"With someone else?" Nessa asks sceptically. Helena startles, as if only just noticing Isaac's presence.

"This is Isaac. My..." I search for the right word. "Boyfriend."

"Don't worry." Isaac reassures the girls, walking forward to slip an arm around my waist. "I've been taking good care of her." I smile up at him.

"I've been living under an alias at university. I only told Isaac the truth about who I am a week or two ago."

"I think I should get myself to an Earthen university." Helena says, eyeing Isaac up and down. He gives her a cheeky wink, causing her to fan herself melodramatically with her hand.

"Tell us everything." Nessa says gently, her smile not quite reaching her eyes. I suspect that she's guessed my story isn't all happy.

The four of us sit down on the bench, Isaac on one side of me and Helena on the other. Nessa sits next to Helena. After telling this tale a few times already, the details come out instinctively. I start from my mum – or Darcey, I guess – leading me to Crown Tower on the night of my birthday. Even Isaac listens intently as I explain what transpired today. He squeezes my hand every time I struggle to get the words out.

"Wow." Helena says.

"So your mum..." Nessa lets the question hang in the air.

"I honestly don't know. Darcey could've been lying, but... it felt like the truth. I don't have a clue how long Darcey's been parading around as her." I shudder at the violation of my mum's life.

"I'm sure you'll be able to find out what happened. It may take a while, and a lot of magic, but there must be a way."

"Donovan." Isaac says suddenly. He's been silently contemplative for the past few minutes. "He knows. He must do."

"I think I need to pay him a visit soon." I reply gloomily.

"You seriously want to meet up for a chat with Donovan Finch?" Nessa asks incredulously. "Forget his assassins, he could kill you himself."

"When I was at his house, he said he wouldn't hurt me unprovoked. I should be safe as long as I don't make a move against him."

"Should be?" Isaac questions.

"What do you expect me to say about a notorious criminal?"

"Maybe that you don't want to meet up with him."

"If he has the answers she needs, she should go." Helena defends me.

"At least someone has my back."

"Hey." Isaac holds up his hands. "I've got your back too. I'll be guarding it every second you spend in the same room as Donovan. Actually, scratch that. I'll be guarding it every second you are within a mile of Donovan."

"Glad to know you care."

Isaac gives me a quick peck on the lips. Nessa mimes gagging, but Helena just watches on with dreamy eyes.

I take a deep breath, turning to my friends. "Can you keep all of this a secret? I don't want the general public to know I'm still alive. I like the life of anonymity I'm building."

"Of course." Helena replies.

"We know how much you've been wanting your freedom." Nessa adds.

"Thank you." A beaming smile spreads across my face.

"Just don't forget to visit us from time to time."

I laugh.

"Or we could visit you on Earth." Helena suggests excitedly. "We could wear disguises like yours. Although I kind of miss when you were blonde."

"You used to be blonde?!" Isaac exclaims. I can't believe I never mentioned it to him before.

"You haven't searched Alyssa up online? What kind of boyfriend are you?" Helena shakes her head, and I have to stifle a laugh.

"The kind who respects his girlfriend's privacy." He counters.

"Touché."

"We should probably be heading back to Earth." I say. I don't want to leave, but I can tell that night is taking hold beyond the curtain of the willow tree. The tiny lights strung from the branches have slowly come on as we've been talking.

"My mum might have another fit if we're not back soon." Isaac agrees.

"Well, it was nice to meet you, Isaac." Nessa says.

"Maybe we could all meet up for a coffee some time." I suggest.

"That would be amazing." Helena agrees. We stand. I give her a tight hug. "We missed you."

Then I embrace Nessa. "Don't be a stranger."

"I won't." I promise. "I'll message you when I get back to my phone so that you have my new number."

"You might regret that. I mean, the amount of things we have to catch up on... You won't be getting much rest for a while."

I catch Isaac's eye and immediately have to look away. A blush crawls up my cheeks. Nessa may be right about me not getting much rest, but for an entirely different reason. I told Isaac he could have all of me when it was safe, and we had time. I'm not in the right headspace tonight, but it won't be long.

"I'll see you soon." I say, before Isaac and I walk out of the willow tree.

"I hope you're not lying." Helena calls after us.

We cross the garden, hand in hand, making our way over to the trellis archway that serves as a portal.