Part 48

The surgery was a success, but Liz was still in a coma. The doctors were certain she would come out of it quickly, but weeks passed and there was no change. Marco had her moved to the house at night, secretly. No one was to know about what happened or about the surgery she had. Enzo and his men made sure anyone connected who wasn't family or an ally was eliminated. As far as anyone knew, she was healthy and well.

And that was the curious part. Liz was a healthy woman.

"She's just sleeping now." Lucinda told Marco. "But it's not to heal her body as that's healed remarkably quickly. I think she's taking this time to heal her mind. After everything that happened, she will wake up when she's ready."

"Do you think she hears me when I talk to her?" Marco asked.

I'm sure she's heard every word you've said." Lucinda smiled.

I want her to know that she's safe, that she's with me and that Yuri, her father, everyone who targeted her, are now dead."

"If that's what you've told her, then I believe she knows."

Marco laid his head down on the side of the bed and sighed. "Then why isn't she waking up?"

"Don – sorry Lu- Marco." Lucinda bit her lip.

Even though she worked for the Don of the Italian mafia, Enzo wouldn't allow her to leave until Liz was up, walking and 100% well, no matter how long it took. Lucinda had been ordered to stay with them, and who was she to argue with the luxury life she was now living?

Marco smiled, at her slip up.

Lucinda touched his shoulder gently. "Just be patient. Keep talking to her and bring her around."

Two weeks later, Marco saw Liz's finger move. He yelled for Lucinda.

After a quick examination, Lucinda was excited to tell Marco that she was waking, but it would be slow.

She touched his shoulder gently.

"You need to know what you'll be facing once she is awake."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, first there's her mental state. We have an idea of what went on, but we don't know everything and until she's ready to talk, she will be closed off, depressed and possibly suicidal. She will need support and love, but if she pushes you away, Marco, don't take it personally. It's just one of the stages she has to go before acceptance. And then there's her physical being. Yes, she's healthy and all her organs are working well, but she hasn't eaten real food for over a month. She hasn't walked or used any of her limbs. She will need slow rehabilitation. She may never be the Liz you knew."

"Yes, she will." Marco argued. "She's too strong to let those bastards win. I'll have my Liz back and I will do everything I need to get her back."

"These are just the worst-case scenarios-I just wanted to prepare you. I will go tell the chef to make a soup. Talk to her, convince her to open her eyes. I'm certain she's ready to see you again."

Marco waited until the doctor left the room, before taking hold of Liz's hand, he kissed it gently before saying, "My darling, I know you can hear me. It's your fiancé. We're supposed to be getting married, remember? It's just you and me. No one is here, so please open your beautiful eyes. You've slept long enough. It's time to come back to me."

But instead of her opening her eyes, he felt her squeezing his hand.

"Liz, my darling. Open your eyes and look at me, honey."