Part 10

The weekend passed fast and on Monday morning Liz was just about to step into the Thames building when her mobile rang.

"Liz, you'd better get here quick. We have a situation," Alex said.

"I'm on my way up," she said, pushing through the doors.

She rushed up to the 2nd floor and walked into chaos. There was an operator on every computer monitor, diligently tapping away on the keyboards. A glass screen covered the back wall, displaying a blue detailed map of the towns and streets in Athens. Red dots signified the hot spots. People were rushing around everywhere; phones were ringing, and a man was barking out orders. West was rushing past her, hugging files to his chest when she grabbed his arm.

"What's going on?" she asked.

"Two Greek dignitaries have been assassinated," he said, before rushing off.

"Agent Finely, over here."

She turned to see Alex waving her over, and then followed him into his office.

"There were two separate car bombings in Athens early this morning. Both were members of the Greek cabinet. Both were killed. We think it's related to the planned kidnapping. No one has accepted responsibility for the bombings. The Greeks have started leaning on known terrorist groups."

"Do you think the politicians were involved in the threat?" She asked.

"Nothing's been confirmed. But we're not ruling out the possibilities that they could have been. Maybe word of our involvement has gotten out and they're killing off anyone who's involved."

Seating himself behind the desk, he signalled for Liz to sit down.

"I thought this was supposed to be kept inhouse."

Alex raised his eyebrows. She understood.

"Have we any new intel?" She asked.

"There are a few possible suspects, but at the moment nothing has been confirmed. We need evidence and testimonies. That's where you come in."

She leaned in closer.

"Jack wants you to send a coded email to your father and request that you meet."

"I see."

"I know it's asking a lot from you, putting you out there again after what's just happened. But no one else can do this. It has to be you. I doubt James will want to speak to anyone else. You need to meet with him and get confirmation. We need to know dates, names everything." He stopped to see her reaction. "Do you think you're up for it? There's no one else, but if push comes to shove, we'll have to find another way. Hart doesn't think you're ready to go back in the field, mainly because of your lack of experience and also because of the risk factor involved. It could be dangerous, Liz."

She sat up straight in the chair. "I'm ready. I've been waiting for this for a long time."

Alex nodded.

"You know, if he's working for the other side, it's doubtful he'll open up to me. We weren't that close."

"But close enough for him to contact you. I think he wants to meet you face-to-face. He has more to say, I'm sure of it."

"You think he's working as a double agent?" She asked.

"I'm not sure what to think, Liz. First things first; you need to send him an email, tell him you're going to be in Athens tomorrow morning, and you want to meet. I've booked you a ticket on Olympic airlines, you depart at 7 am. Hart wants to brief you before you leave. Right now, you need to read up on the intel we have. Everything you need to know is in these files. Call me if you need me."

Liz spent the next few hours reading through the informative intel MI5 had on four known terrorist groups.

First, there was Black Star: as their attacks were marked on embassies and diplomats, it put them at the top of the list. This group was anti-establishment, anti-government. Most of their previous demands were for the release of political prisoners.

The most notorious group known in Greece was the Revolutionary Organization - 17 November also known as 17N or N17. A far-left group, it was responsible for most car bombings and terrorist activity in Greece. However, the group was disbanded in 2002 after the main leaders were arrested and charged with over a thousand counts of terrorism.

Revolutionary Struggle was formed after the break of N17. This group targeted embassies and political buildings and were responsible for the rocket launched at the US Embassy in Greece in 2005.

The last group: Revolutionary Nuclei was a small group with few members and according to the file, no longer active.

It was unlikely N17 had enough members or finance to pull off a kidnapping in the UK. So, either one of the groups had re-formed or there was a new threat in Greece, she thought.

Liz also spent time researching possible organizations that her father might be involved in. Liz poured out another black coffee from the fast-emptying coffee jug. She felt tired and stressed and hoped the caffeine would help.

Who was this man? She couldn't imagine him being involved in an assassination or a plot to kidnap, but then again, she was now working for the British Secret Service. Something she would never have thought about five years ago.

The meeting with Hart was short. He told her that there would be another two agents on the flight with her and then they'd be met at the airport by Greek Intelligence. Hart made her assignment sound easy. Meet up with Finely, find out who's involved with the kidnapping and when and where it was supposed to take place. Find out who Finely was working for and how he heard about the plan.

But Liz knew it wasn't going to be that simple. There was bound to be word out that British Intelligence was arriving in Athens. And her father was putting himself and her at risk by meeting like that. Liz didn't know what to expect and it was that which caused the chill to creep up her arm.

Thanks so much for reading and continuing on this journey with me.
Don't forget to click the little star and tell your friends about the story.

All rights reserved
© Karina Kantas 2021