Part 3

Back home, life had changed for Liz. She took what Jones had said to her literally. Was she intuitive, did she have a good eye? The realisation of just how alone she was, caused her to evaluate her life. She had no close friends, no boyfriend, no one she could confide in or miss her if she vanished. She didn't feel comfortable in her life, and she quickly lost her passion for singing, going through the motions without thought. She felt bored and came to the same conclusion every time she became restless. She needed excitement and to take some risks in her life. The book had been forgotten; Liz decided she wanted to live the fiction rather than write it.

                                                                                             ***

A year had passed very quickly for Liz. She continued to sing in the bar on the weekends, but her days were filled with work and study. There was no room for boredom. She knew she'd made the right decision in a career change, proving to her university tutors and government supervisors that they were right to take a chance on her.

Liz was sitting in her living room reading a magazine when the doorbell rang.

Slipping the security chain across the lock, she opened the door and was surprised to see Jones on the opposite side. Casually dressed, his hair looked longer but still, the sexy grin was apparent.

"Hi, Liz, remember me?" He grinned.

She shut the door quickly, removed the chain and then opened the door wide.

"Hi, umm come in." Liz watched Jones walk through into the living room.

Her pulse throbbed like the ticking of a clock, and she hoped he wouldn't hear the sudden pounding of her heart.

"I'm not disturbing you, am I?" he asked.

"No. It's nice to see you again." She blushed. "Please, take a seat. Would you like a drink?"

"No, thanks."

"Are you on duty?"

"I'm always on the clock." He laughed.

"What I meant was, is this an official call? I'm wondering what I've done this time. I swear to you I haven't even walked past Thames building since that day."

"I know." Jones smiled. "You've been keeping busy."

"Nothing gets past you. Does it, Mr Jones?"

"Call me Alex."

"Is that your real name? Sorry, you don't have to answer that."

"Yes, Alex is my real name," he smiled.

"Nice to meet you, Alex," Liz said, holding her hand out.

The two shook hands. His large hand engulfing hers. She reluctantly let go.

"I'm here unofficially on official business," he said.

"Well, that makes sense." Liz laughed, and then sat down on the sofa beside him. Crossing her legs, she placed both hands on her knees and then turned towards him.

"So, what can I do for you?" she asked.

"We would like to offer you a job."

"What! Working at MI5?"

Alex nodded his head.

"In what capacity?"

"You'll start as an Administrative Assistant, a paper pusher."

"Is that a code name for something else?" Liz smiled at her joke.

Alex laughed. "No, it means you'll be drafting documents, organising meetings, that sort of thing. You'll learn the ropes and then if you work hard and prove yourself, which I know you will, you'll move up the ranks."