Part 47

Only two days later, Enzo handed a heart to the surgeon, that matched Liz's needs. It was wrapped up and laid on ice in an official medical box. Although the doctor raised his eyebrows, he never questioned where the heart came from. The sooner he could get the woman out of intensive care, the more he'd be able to breathe. Ever since she'd been admitted, he felt a weight on his shoulder and that weight was named Don Marco Lucianno.

Marco grabbed Enzo and pulled to him to his chest and held him tight.

"Thank you, brother. You have lived up to your station and oath you gave us. You'll be rewarded well."

"Bah!" Enzo disagreed. "I did this out of love and respect to my King and Queen. I expect nothing in return and will not take a dime. But thank you, brother, for your generous offer."

The heart transplant took ages and many of Marco's men came to pay their respect and hopefully hear some good news.

Marco was going crazy. The longer he waited, the more anxious he became.

"What's taking him so long? It should have been over by now, unless there were complications."

Marco made the sign of the cross then kissed his golden cross pendant, that hung around his neck.

It's been twelve hours. Please let this operation be successful and bring back my Elizabeth to me. She doesn't deserve what's happened to her. She is an innocent soul and none of this would have happened if we'd never met. But then again, it was fated that we'd meet, and I thank you, Lord, for bringing her to me. Liz is my soulmate. I know I have only two choices. But I can't live without her so I know what I must do. Watch over my angel, Lord. Keep her safe and bring her back to me.

Marco got up from his chair and stood beside Enzo.

"Let us walk. Stefano, call me if you hear anything."

"Will do, Boss."

"How are you doing?" Enzo asked Marco, as they started walked

down an empty corridor.

"I need to talk with you about something serious. Let's go to the garden, where our conversation won't be heard."

Enzo nodded and followed Marco.

Liz is as pure and innocent as they come. I should never have taken her, I should never have had her interrogated and tortured, especially given her background. She should have been treated like a queen from the start. Alas, that is the past and I can do nothing to change that. Knowing what the bastard Russian did to her, passing her around like a whore to be raped and abused, I don't know if I can forgive myself. Again, this is on me."

Enzo tried to interrupt but Marco held up his hand to silence him.

"Yes, it's on me as Nicola was my brother and I knew from the start his hate for the Greeks. I should never have allowed either of them anywhere near her. And killing Sara was the last thing that broke Nicola. However, I was bound by mafia law as she broke the Omerta and confessed to being a rat. We had no choice but to follow our law. I should have kept a closer watch on Nicola. Maybe then I would have found evidence that he was playing both sides. My gut tells me that if Nicola hadn't told Yuri those disgusting lies about Liz, she wouldn't have been so badly beaten and abused. Do you know the last thing Yuri said before he died?"

Enzo stayed silent and shook his head.

Marco looked Enzo in the eye.

"The bastard admitted that she is too good for the likes of us. And I agree with him. She's been through enough. I can't allow anyone to go near her again. That leaves me with two options, and I think you know which one I have chosen?"

Enzo nodded his head. "You're ready to step down as king and give up everything you've worked hard for?"

"I never considered that making Liz my queen would put an even bigger target on her. All I cared about was getting rid of the Greeks and the Russians and getting her mentally stable again. But now I realise she needs to be away from the toxic lifestyle, away from any threat, if she's going to get over the abuse she's suffered."

"But the only way you can walk away from the mafia is in a body bag?"

Marco grinned when he saw the confusion on Enzo's face.

"What's the plan, Boss?"

"From now on, you are the boss. Enzo, I entrust my mafia into your capable hands. However, appearances need to keep, so I will play my part right to the end, Don Enzo Lucianno." Marco bowed his head.

"So, how are you thinking of doing this?" Enzo asked.

"I think we deserve to go out in spectacular style. Once Elizabeth has recovered, we will be going on a trip on my private jet. There will be an emergency and the plane will dive and crash into whatever is below us. All that will remain is our charred bodies. Only dental records will identify that we have both been killed in an unfortunate accident."

Marco smiled, as did Enzo.

Enzo patted Marco's shoulder. "And I have the perfect place for both of you to live without being discovered or in danger."

The two continued discussing plans until Marco's phone rang.

Thanks for reading and clicking on the little star

All rights reserved

Karina Kantas © 2021