Chapter 12

It's been a couple weeks since the shirt incident, and I was right. He took every chance he found to tease me about it. There was plenty opportunity too since he apparently took a bit of a vacation from work.

I heave a sigh, remembering how awkward I've been feeling when he's around since then. I've tried keeping it under wraps, but a blush or a stutter will still slip out every now and again. 'I can't believe I've got a friggen crush. What am I, a high schooler?' I facepalm myself in frustration, dragging my hands down my face as I continue on into town. 'At least that new little nickname doesn't hit me the way it had at first'

It being close to time to find a job before the funds my dad left me run out, I'd decided to walk around town and see what I could find.

"Third times the charm, " I mumble to myself before walking into the building. It happened to be the small pet shop Dabi had pointed out a while back when he gave me the tour of the town. It had a help wanted sign out front now so I figured, why not?

...

I actually ended up getting the job on the spot, they told me I start next week. I was proud and beaming on my walk home. That is, until I heard the soft rumble of distant thunder. Looking around, I see no storm clouds though. Looking behind me was a different story. I hadn't noticed the clouds in the distance, dark and ominous as they crept slowly closer.

I shiver as I feel my heartbeat start to race. The news said there was supposed to be a warm front hitting, but they didn't say anything about possible storms. I pick up my pace back home, hurrying to beat the oncoming storm.

...

Finally making it back, a barely notice my raven haired neighbor walking out as I bump into his shoulder. My need to get in my apartment and away from the storm trumping my urge to apologize.

I close my door quickly as I hear him shout something, the ringing of anxiety in my ears muffling his words.

Dabi's POV

"Y/n, what in the hell-" I turn around just in time to see the door slam shut. I almost shrug it off before realizing there was panic in her catlike eyes.

Deciding the trip to the grocery store could wait, I knock. Nothing. A boom of thunder cracks across the sky, and then I heard a small noise from the other side of the door. It was obviously Y/n's voice so I slowly opened the door, not knowing what to expect. My breath hitched as I locked eyes with an obviously frightened Y/n. She was frozen and staring at me, eyes the size of dinner plates.

I start to make my way to her, "Y/n, what-" a bright flash of light lit up the windows right before a crack of thunder rattled the place.

Before I knew what happened, she had closed the space between us and was tightly gripping my shirt as she buried her face into my chest. I look down and hear the whisper of a small whimper.

Reflexively I wrap my arms around her comfortingly. "So you're scared of thunder huh?" Another boom rumbled from outside, causing her to jolt and cling tighter before she wordlessly nods against my chest.

Chuckling softly, I rub circles on the scared girl's back. As much as I didn't like seeing her so scared, I had to admit the way she was clinging to me over some angry sky noises was cute as hell.

"Hey, doll." I brought a hand up to gently ruffle her hair to catch her attention. "Let's turn one of those dumb movies you like so much and have a little marathon. Ok?" I spoke softly, a small smile on my lips.

She looks up at me, averting her e/c orbs away from mine and, in the smallest voice I've ever heard in my life, "Y-you don't have to do that..." she said. A hint of embarrassment in her voice. Sheepishly, she stepped back and out of my arms.

Just then a flash and another crack of thunder boomed and she was right back to clinging to me. 'Too cute' I stifle another chuckle as I walk her to the couch before grabbing some blankets and plopping myself down on the other side to turn on her favorite movie.

...

She'd inched her way across the couch as the rumbling outside persisted. Until she was eventually bundled up with her blanket, resting her head on my shoulder. I knew my boney shoulder couldn't be comfortable for too long so I moved my arm around her, letting her shift and rest her head against my chest. The flutter it gave my stomach almost making me jump.

The storm lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. It had gotten pretty late now actually. The third movie had ended as I look down to see a sleeping Y/n curled up into my side. Moving some of the h/c strands out of her face, I see all the anxiety that was there before, gone. Leaving a peaceful, almost innocent expression.

I couldn't help but watch her. I noticed her long eyelashes and the soft pink cheeks they rested on. Her soft s/t skin, her slightly parted lips... I felt my stomach knot up again.

I'd gotten used to this happening by now. I'd even come to accept what it meant, but I did my best to ignore it. I've chosen a life that leaves no room for things like that and, on top of it all, I wouldn't want to drag her into it anyways. She's kind, and sweet, basically quirkless too. There's no way it could work and her not be in some kind of danger. Hell me just being around puts her in danger. God forbid Handy-man figure out I wasn't the heartless monster I act at work.

Brushing my thumb across her bottom lip ever so gently I sigh and lean my head back against the sofa. 'As soon as she finds out I'm a villain, she'd be gone anyways. ' I think to myself after closing my eyes.

I hadn't even realized I'd fallen asleep...