Aftermath

The Emperor talked to my father for only a matter of minutes. The dark lord emerged from the room, his black cloak billowing behind him, starting straight ahead. "Soooooooooo..." I asked, desperate to know what the pair had talked about. My father slightly shook his head. The action was small, but it's meaning was clear. I could tell what his face said, even though it was obscured from my vision by the deep black mask. It wasn't safe to discuss anything here, not with the Emperor's keen ears or prying eyes. So I followed silently behind my father, climbing into the speeder, and strapping myself in, my head buzzing with questions.

Once we got home, my father sent me off to finish my schoolwork. It came first, he said. So I slaved through the many problems, but I couldn't think straight. My mind kept wandering to the Emperor, covered from head to foot in his black robes, with only a crescent of pale, shriveled skin visible.

So I crept out of my room, towards the study I guessed my father was in, and knocked gently on the door. "Come in, Lani."

I entered the study, my heart pounding in my chest, my breath hitched, and my footsteps light. "I couldn't think." I said softly, sitting down in the chair opposite my fathers and rubbing my temple softly. "I kept thinking about..."

"The Emperor doesn't wish your death, if that's what you are concerned about."

The reply did nothing to ease my nerves. "What did he say about becoming a sith?" I asked, my voice catching in my throat. I rubbed vigorously at my eyes, who threatened to spill tears at the next sign of hardship.

"He said that you could be a valuable asset, and a trouble enemy. He wishes me to train you on the art of swordsmanship alone. Not the force." I nodded, my brain still processing all of the information flooding in.

I heard a soft mechanical sigh. "Lani, you have nothing to worry about. I'll make sure nothing happens to you, I promise." I nodded, my eyes welling with tears. I took a deep, shuttery breath in order to hooks them back, but they only came spilling out.

"Come here."

It wasn't a demand or an order. It was two simple words, allowing comfort. I took there long strides closer to my father, who enveloped me in a warm embrace. The touch of a father.

After all of my tears had been shed, I took a step back, allowing myself a deep breath. My mind wandered to what else I had come in here for.

"Pull your homework out then, Lani, and let's take a look at it."

Grinning, I pulled the paper out of my pocket and turned towards my father, who set me on his lap as he took a look at the sheet of history dates.