Home

Hopping our of the speeder, I waited politely for Captain Piette. He smiled at me, then put a hand on my shoulder, steering me towards a large castle like building. I started in awe. This building wasn't even the grandest in Coruscant, but it already was beat the palace on Dantooine.

Starting at Captain Piette, I grinned at his next words. "This, Lani, is to be your new home."

I half expected him to burst out laughing and point at the house next door. But there were no houses, only a tall fence surrounded by columns. I could only accept the fact that this was my new life.

Darth Vader opened the door for us. He dismissed Captain Piette and showed me the inside. It was white and pristine, full of columns and expensive looking furniture. I could only gape.

"Welcome to your new home, Lani."

Vader's POV

I could feel the edges of my lips twitching as I looked at awe on Lani's face. She threw her head back, laughing as she spun around, trying to take in every detail of the intricately carved ceiling. I had never taken much time to admire the craftsmanship, but as I saw my daughter taking such delight in the minor details, I tried to focus on the beauty for once.

I was disrupted by a small thud. Lani had fallen over from spinning. Trying to hold in a laugh, I knelt down and helped her up. She seemed taken back by my actions. I immediately stood up, regretting my action. I couldn't let her know, not yet. And while it nearly you're my heart in two, I had to stay strong.

I showed her the kitchen, training arena, my quarters, strictly of limits, knock if you need anything, and her bedroom. She gazed up at me after plopping down on her bed for the night.

"Do you ever get lost in here?" She asked as I turned to leave. The question took me by surprise. I had expected her to say something, but the content was unexpected.

"No, I can't say I have." I replied, softly. She shrugged, shifting farther under the covers.

"I suppose that you've gotten lots of practice at not getting lost, as the Senate building is also really big. And so is the Imperial Palace."

She looked at me expectantly. I nearly laughed. You don't get lost in your own home, but I couldn't say that.

"Yes, I suppose." I replied, not knowing what to say. It had been years since I had to deal with the younglings at the Jedi Temple. I had lost the skill to interact well with children. But Lani didn't seem to be phased by the black mask and looming figure. She seemed to be trying to see the person underneath, squinting to make out the details. And for that, I was eternally grateful.

As I turned back to my daughter, I noticed her calm, rhythmic breathing. She had already fallen asleep.

"Goodnight, my daughter." I mumbled, before leaving her to her dreams.

Sorry for the long delay. I tried to write a longer chapter to make up for it. Did you like Vader's POV? Vote, comment, I'd love to hear your feedback!