𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 3

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand"

Isaiah 41:10

——

Martha unlocked the brown door to her apartment— more like Adrian's apartment.
The door opened to a deserted place.

She wasn't surprised that he wasn't home on a Saturday night, he was never home, she wasn't surprised that he forgot her birthday because he always did—nobody remembered her birthday because that's what she was a nobody.

Martha decided to take a shower to refresh her mind, she had a life that she wouldn't even wish upon her enemy.
Isn't it awful to feel unnoticed, to be invisible even though your right there.

Martha undressed and stepped in the shower, the hot water hit against her back.

" Ouch," she whispered as the heated water hit the scars on her back.

She quickly stepped away from the water, after all these years no matter how hard she tries to heal these scars it just doesn't go away.

She curled up beside as the water hit the floor steaming up the glass and the mirror.

Every time she took a shower it felt as though she was going through the abuse all over again, even thinking about it made her sob in horror.

Warm tears were flowing down her cheek.

" What did I ever do to deserve all this? That guy said you had a plan for me, is this your plan to hurt me" cried out Martha, her breathing was beginning to feel uneven, she was having a panic attack it wasn't as unpleasant as it usually is.

Then she wept thinking about how miserable she must be to accuse a made-up person for her screwed up life.

" Oh, I am sorry I just realized you don't even exist," she said in a sarcastic tone, draping a towel around herself.

She went out and got dressed in her pajamas, she checked her phone to see if anyone had wished her—no one did, when she opened Instagram she saw happy people with their families, she opened Twitter to see more happy people, It seemed like everyone had a better life than her.

She gazed around, It was a Saturday night, it was her birthday yet there she was living the same miserable life.

She shut her eyes for a few second, All the memories came flushing back, The accident, the death, the abuse every single thing that she craved to forget came rushing back.

She opened her eyes gasping for breath, It's been more than 17 years now yet the memories still bestowed her with several sleepless nights.

Her phone buzzed, she hoped it was a message from Adrian but it was from Adah.

"I saw Adrian with another girl, she looks very elegant unlike you"

Martha's eyes widened reading the message, Adrian was with another girl who was prettier than her.

Adah sent her a picture of Adrian sitting across and holding hands with a thin, pretty, and blonde woman, Martha believed herself to be nothing compared to her, He had a million reasons to choose her over Martha.

She positioned the phone beside as she strolled to the kitchen to grab some water, she was worried the panic attack would come again.

Adrian was supposed to be her savior, after all, she's been through, he was supposed to be a light in the darkness yet there he was making her life more depressing.

"I mean I feel bad but I'm not surprised"

She received another message from Adah.

" Like look at her she's drop-dead Gorgeous, he would choose any woman over you 😂😅"

Martha didn't have an answer to that message, What if she was true? Martha felt ugly, she shoved her face on the pillow and sobbed, even more, the people who were supposed to stand by her were the ones standing against and laughing at her misery.

Martha considered Adah as her true friend but for Adah, Martha meant nothing.

Adah thought of their friendship as nothing more than a " Friends with benefits".
Adah hated Martha ever since they were young yet she behaves like her friend, the only reason she talks to Martha is to make her feel more miserable about herself.

The only reason Adah ever informed Martha about Adrian was to make her feel more pathetic about herself.

Adah was toxic but Martha was too naive to see.