𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 1

"He reached down from on high and took hold of me, he drew me out of deep waters."

Psalms 18:16
————

The white snowflake rested upon her shoulder which was covered by a fur coat that she wore to protect herself from the frostiness.

The phone screen felt cold between her fingers, she took hasty glimpses at it as if she was waiting for some message to magically appear. She started to nibble her lower lip in annoyance when she saw nothing but an empty screen.

She stood leaning over the glass barrier of an expensive cafe.

She checked her phone once again with excitement when she felt it buzzed but the smile promptly faded away when she realized it was just an email.

She lowered her hands beside in frustration, she knew he wasn't going to come, he must have forgotten about it.

Adrian Wilson is the man she thinks she needs, he is tall has dreamy brown eyes, and a job that provides them both adequately.
Martha loves him to the moon and back even though he is rude and can be abusive sometimes but he has provided her with a place to stay and daily necessities for both of which she is very thankful.

Today, Adrian had promised that he would take her for coffee, it's been 2 hours and he still hasn't arrived. Martha is not surprised not the first time he had stood up on her but today was a special day how could he forget.

She rubbed her hands to prevent the cold from stiffening her, she looked across the street, kids playing in the snow, couples holding hands and curling up close to keep themselves cozy and teenagers drinking up hot chocolate while goofing off with friends, everybody appeared to have company except her.

She looked up, to adore the magnificence of the night sky. It was dark yet the stars we're faultlessly aligned in place providing glimmer, It was like somebody positioned them there, Martha didn't believe in God or Christianity but when she glanced up at the gloaming sky
She knew deep down all this wasn't a coincidence yet her ego and hardheadedness didn't enable her to.

She finally let out a misty breath and rubbed her palms in frustration, she ultimately abandoned the idea of Adrian fulfilling his promise—not that it's the first time he had shattered one.

She strolled away, hands inside pocket, and walking away hastily.
It was 11 pm, in almost an hour from now it was going to be her birthday, a day she blamed for all her misfortune, Birthday was a momentous day for everyone, everyone except Martha.

Martha had to nearly pull herself through the cold, it was difficult to walk especially when her legs were nearly frozen, Her eyes were glued to the phone, she overlooked the world around her.

She took a step forward about to cross a street when abruptly someone yanked her from behind prompting her and the random stranger to tumble to the ground.

A car took off instantly at high speed before lurching and slamming the stop sign nearby, it was at that moment she comprehended that the person dragged her from behind not to harm her but to protect her from a car that could've smashed her to death.

The random stranger offered his hand to help her get up but she withheld.
A considerable mob huddled to catch a glimpse of what had happened.

She got back on her feet and dusted her black coat, the stranger behind appeared to be sightly wounded on the arm.

Martha would have stuck around and thanked him for saving her life if only she had the desire to live.

She hastily strolled away without a glimpse of the stranger—to the mob standing there he saved her but to Martha, he was nothing but a dream shatterer.

" Hey, are you okay?" a muscular voice shouted from behind.

She took a step ahead completely ignoring him.

" Hey, don't ignore me" he called out once more yet there was no reply.

She could hear the crowd murmuring about how ungrateful she was.
But deep inside nobody understood what she was going through.

The voices of the crowd slowly subsided, that's when she realized she had walked away far from them.

It was supposed to be her birthday, she was presumed to be happy and making merry, but there she was regretting her birth and hoping she was dead.