Chapter 23- I Definitely Liked It

It's not long before the school is buzzing with gossip about the interaction between Parker and myself this morning. While I absolutely hate being the center of attention or the topic of conversations, I can't honestly say that I despised the look on Serena's face when it all went down. In fact, I'd dare say I really enjoyed it. It was totally worth being talked about all day long.

Also, I'm kind of proud of myself for getting out of my comfort zone like that.

And I definitely liked the reaction I got from Parker.

With thoughts of my uncharacteristically bold move preoccupying my mind, I have to talk myself down from the unusual hype building inside of me. Parker had said that he likes me, right? Is that what he meant when he said he likes "flirty Morgan"? He likes "regular Morgan," too, right?

I guess we'll find out.

"Morgs!" a familiar voice yells excitedly, the intensity of Ashton's apparent joy echoing through the halls and ringing loudly in my ears. "I heard what you did this morning," Ash continues, throwing her arm over my shoulders and pulling me into an awkward side hug that makes me feel weirdly happy and slightly uncomfortable all at the same time. "Girl, I'm so proud of you!" She squeezes me closer and asks with a lowered voice, "So, how did it feel?"

Ash's smile is utterly contagious, and I can't stop my own lips from curling upward as she stares at me, eagerly awaiting a response to her question. My mind reels over the emotions currently swimming through my head, and I take a moment to quietly think over how to put what I'm feeling into words. "Honestly?" I begin, unable to contain the overbearing happiness from seeping into my voice. "It felt pretty good," I admit. "And it's a bonus that Parker didn't really seem to mind."

"Didn't seem to mind?" Ashton scoffs. "Girl, are you crazy? That boy has eyes only for you. I mean, he kissed you in front of, like, half the school!" she practically shouts at me, gaining the attention of several other students occupying the hallway, much to my dismay.

"Whoa, Ash," I say, my face heating under the watchful gazes of our peers as they all suddenly become interested in our conversation. "Tone it down a little, please," I ask quietly, hoping that people will notice that our discussion isn't exactly gossipworthy. Or really, hoping that they'll at least think that it isn't due to the change of volume. "And that doesn't necessarily mean that he likes me."

"It doesn't?"

My eyes widen at the sound of his voice, and my cheeks flood with embarrassment at being caught by none other than the boy we were just talking about. Slowly, I turn around to come face-to-face with Parker Adams himself, my own smile mirroring the one he gives me as our eyes meet. I'm left speechless as both the awkwardness and my embarrassment linger longer than I'd like them to in this situation, my lips unable to form a sentence as my brain repeatedly informs me of how incredibly uncool I seem right now.

"If you ask me, I think that it does mean that he likes you," Parker says, stepping closer to me. Ashton's arm disappears from my shoulders as he welcomely invades my personal space, practically leaving me alone with the boy I'm so undeniably crazy about. The smile never leaves Parker's face as he reiterates, "I think he likes you a lot."

"Yes, girl!" loudly exclaims Ash, setting my cheeks on fire once again as every pair of eyes in the hallway bores into my very soul; I'd say it's evident that literally everyone heard Parker's words just now.

"What you did this morning?" Parker asks, his fingers brushing a tendril of hair from my face. "I definitely liked it," he admits. "And kissing you in the hallway?" he says, his gaze falling from my eyes down to my lips. "I really liked that, too," whispers Parker, raising his eyes back to mine as if daring me not to believe him.

"I'm gonna just... give you two some privacy," Ash rushes out before hurrying away down the hall as if she's doing me a massive favor by deserting me right now.

Parker softly caresses my cheek, the corners of his mouth tipping upwards once more. "I like you, Morgan Feldman," he says aloud, his words stopping every movement in the entire hallway. It's suddenly so quiet that a pin could drop, and the sound would be deafening. With all other chatter effectively silenced and every single person in the hallway observing our interaction, Parker boldly proclaims, "I like you a lot."

I gulp, unable to stop myself as my throat tries to swallow my tongue. I don't know what is going on right now, but I'm afraid I may be dreaming. That would certainly explain how this is happening. Parker Adams couldn't possibly be announcing his affections for me so proudly in front of half the school, right? It has to be a dream. A figment of my imagination or something.

"Morgan?" Parker's voice whispers, pulling me out of my train of thought. My vision suddenly comes back into focus, and I realize that the hallway is emptying around us. I don't know how long I've been standing here, staring off into space, but I feel the blush as it takes over my cheeks. I can't bring myself to utter a word, but I don't have to. Before I can force my lips to move, Parker takes me by the hand and asks, "Can I walk you to class?"

My eyes roam over his face, one side of my mouth pulling up into a half-smile. "Yeah," I respond. My voice is quiet and strained, but I choose to ignore it, instead soaking up the feeling of the moment at hand. "I'd like that," I answer.

I silently revel in the wide smile my words are rewarded with, and the slight squeeze of my hand as Parker walks with me down the hall.

I think I could get used to this.