forty six

FORTY SIX

LIFE AND DEATH

LIFE AND DEATH

The bullet hit the target dead in the chest. Talia lowered the gun and looked down the range at the metal target. Not bad. She'd been working for the last two days on her shooting. President Coin had pushed back the travel to District 2 after Katniss had awoken and expressed her want to go to District 2 herself. There was still no progress with Peeta, but they hoped to use a childhood friend, Delly, to try and remind him of who he is.

"I don't think I could ever be that good," Finnick says from beside her. He was waiting for his turn with the gun. He wasn't good at all, honestly, but Talia wasn't going to tell him that. She was spending time with him after all- which was limited because of Coin's regimes.

"You have other strengths," Talia says, smiling. She hands him the gun. He steps forwards and aims.

10 rounds later and he's only managed to hit the targets abdomen once. The rest miss.

"Yeah...I'm going to give up," Finnick mutters, passing the gun back, chuckling, "I'll stick to my trident,"

"You did well," She lies. She knows he knows she's lying, but neither of them care. They could barely look away from each other, both of them still in awe that they were even in the same District, let alone only inches from each other.

"Beetee mentioned that you're going to District 2? When Katniss is ready for travel?" Finnick asks, leaning against the wall. Talia lets out a sigh. They both knew Finnick wouldn't be allowed to join her.

"Yeah, thats the plan," She says, putting the gun on the rack. She was bored of it already. Her hands shake slightly. She quickly shoves them in her pockets hoping Finnick doesn't notice. He does.

"And then what? The Capitol advancement?" He asks. He pushes off the wall and leads the way to where Beetee's desk is.

"I guess so...Unless Coin wants me kept in the Districts- but I can't see that happening...After all, she doesn't care if I die, as long as the precious Mockingjay lives," She says, a slight hint of laughter in her voice. In a way, she wouldn't mind staying back in the Districts- she had to think of not just herself, but also the baby growing inside of her...The baby Finnick still had no idea about.

"Well, I care," Finnick says, "She can't control you, Talia, surely you know that...You don't have to do what she wants you to do...We can...We can leave, go back to District 4...Or somewhere new...I'd follow you anywhere,"

Talia smiles softly. What a life that would be, to go anywhere in Panem you wanted and settle. Her and Finnick could raise their little family. Her own family would be there, perhaps they'd have neighbouring houses. A world without the Games. It seemed impossible, but it was the very thing they were fighting for. Talia knew she couldn't leave until the war was done- it was just who she was. Always striving to finish whats been started.