thirty eight

THIRTY EIGHT

THE BURDEN OF WAR

THE BURDEN OF WAR

The room was silent as the door slid open. It revealed to those sat inside, a broken girl, carrying the burden of war on her shoulders as she entered. Her leg now finally healed, the poison removed from her system. She looks at the members of the council, Plutarch Heavensbee, the Gamemaker for this years Hunger Games, sat at the table, Rossan was there too, Jim Parker, the rebel leader she had met before the games, Aldar, her stylist for the games, and finally at the head of it all- President Alma Coin.

"Talia Riverthorn, welcome to the War Council," Plutarch smiles, he was holding a mug of coffee in his hand and looked like he needed at least a weeks sleep.

"War Council? Is that what this is now? A war?" Talia asks, she sits down at the table despite not being asked to and makes herself comfortable. President Coin does not look pleased.

"Miss Riverthorn, welcome to District 13," President Coin smiles falsely. Snow had always called her 'Miss Riverthorn'. It sent a chill down her spine. "You are our guest here, whatever you shall need, within reason, will be yours,"

"Thank you," Talia says, "Now, can someone explain why I'm here and not with Finnick?"

"Finnick Odair is undergoing an extensive emotional therapy, he was very distraught when we brought him here- he's under the impression that you're dead, and we have told him otherwise, but he won't believe-"

"Then why the hell am I here? And not proving to him in person that I'm alive?" Talia scoffs, rolling her eyes as President Coin lets out a deep sigh.

"Miss Riverthorn, Finnick needs help, and seeing you might make him worse than it will make him better- in due time, you will see him," Says the President, shifting her perfectly straightened grey hair to the side before pressing a button on a panel before her, "For now, we have some things to run through with you,"

"By all means, go ahead," Talia mocks, taking a gulp of the water in front of her. Aldar gives her a sympathetic look, he could see how angry she was to not be allowed to visit Finnick.

"We here in District 13 have been waiting for an opportunity like the one you and Miss Everdeen have provided us. As you know, Katniss has her own branding, separate from yourself- the Mockingjay. Now you, you're known as something else- The Pearl of Panem. You're the golden girl, a Capitol favourite. Katniss isn't so fondly looked at as you have been, especially now. But no one in the Capitol really knows about you and your rebellious streak," Coin explains, one of her manicured nails tapping on the table, "We'd like to use that to our advantage, Miss Riverthorn,"