three

THREE

THE REAPING

THE REAPING

Talia Riverthorn was woken by her mothers hand shaking her shoulder. The girl's eyes flicker open and she sees her two brothers still sleeping.

"Time to get ready," Denise says, sending her daughter a soft smile. As Denise watched her daughter climb from her bed she couldn't help but think of all the times her daughter had stepped up to collect tessera. Her daughters name would be in the pot 6 times already, as each year, your name is entered one more time, and an additional 12 paper slips reading her name would be placed into the glass jar. And somehow, Denise knew it then, she could feel it in her gut. She could feel the fate of her daughter strangling her heart, and she wishes silently that she'd never been desperate enough to force her daughter to collect the rations.

Talia washes in the metal bathtub that her family owned- no showers in the poorest parts of D4. A hand-me-down navy blue dress from her mothers late sister lies in waiting when she comes back from her bathe, her brothers gone to get breakfast. Talia changes, waves of blonde hair falling over her shoulders- she rarely let it hang down as she did now. Her feet slide into white socks that had greyed over the years and finally, black dolly shoes.

She enters the living area and her mother sends her a smile, "It looks better on you than it ever did Diana,"

"Mum," Talia frowns, she knew Denise and Diana never saw eye to eye, but there was no need to disrespect the dead, after all, she had died at sea, which was one of the most honourable ways to go in District 4.

Over the next half an hour, Freddy changes into his clothes, and they finish breakfast. The alarm sounds, it acted as a signal that the Reaping would begin in 30 minutes time, and people should begin to leave their homes.

As the Riverthorn family made their way to the District's Justice Building. The harbour horns have a rest day- the only day of the year where the boats aren't out at sea, because the fishermen wish to see their children safely back at home rather than off to fight in the Hunger Games. The fish of the sea would escape the Capitol's grasp today, unlike a single boy and a single girl who stood in the square.

Talia and her younger brother separate from their family and Talia guides him to the desks, the woman holds out her hand, not saying a word. Talia holds out her hand and the woman takes it, pricking her finger and smudging her blood against her name registration.

"Move along,"

Talia nods to Freddy as he heads for the boys section and Talia walks to the girls, standing beside some of the girls she knew in school, but they daren't speak.

As the last children filter in, the District's escort walks up to the microphone. Blue hair in waves down to his hips, eyelashes huge and ridiculously curled and his outfit- Talia scoffed in distaste.

"Welcome everyone, to the 71st Annual Hunger Games!" Thelan Phoenix was the most obnoxious escort District 4 had ever seen, and quite frankly, the blue hair and blue outfit was an insult to the fishing district.

"Today we have some important words from President Snow for you all to watch," He says, stepping aside and gesturing to the large screen behind him.

Propaganda about the Rebellion and the Dark Days and the ruins of District 13 fill the screen, and Talia tunes out, spotting Penelope two rows ahead of her, silently she hoped the girl wasn't reaped.

"And now finally, for the event you've all been waiting for! Time to select this years tributes!" Thelan grins, clasping his hands together as the district looks on in almost silence, a few Career families whisper to each other.

"First up, we'll do the boys!" Thelan calls, walking over to the glass bowl, his gloved fingers dip into the bowl and he plucks a piece of paper from it before walking back to the microphone. He opens it up, anxiousness filled every boy behind the barriers. Not Freddy, Not Freddy, Not Freddy.

"Ethan Bomer," Thelan calls and Talia breathes a sigh relief, watching the strong muscled boy appear from the crowd and practically leap onto the stage.

He stands proudly for his district, Talia had no doubt he was trained for the fight. Thelan moves over to the girls bowl, fingers rummaging through them before pulling a name out. His boots click along the stage and he pauses before the microphone. He opens the paper slowly, building an unnecessary tension across the square.

"Talia Riverthorn,"

She freezes on the spot, the crowd shift around her and suddenly everything is hazy. She blinks as someone behind her pushes her forwards, forcing her into the open. Behind her, she hears her mother weep and as she walks towards the stage her eyes meet with Jamie Kilen, the bakers boy. He bows his head to her, a certain sign of respect. Her feet carry her onto the stage and she stands, skinny and short compared to Ethan.

"And here they are, your district four tributes, Ethan Bomer and Talia Riverthorn!" Thelan claps, but no one claps along. Silence falls over the district as Ethan and Talia shake hands and they make their way into the Justice Building.

They're placed in separate rooms and are forced to wait for their families to come before they leave for the Capitol.

Talia sinks into a seat, her heart was racing in her chest and her brain was running at a million miles an hour. How? She understood her name was in the pot 18 times, but it was still a small number compared to some. She taps her foot uncontrollably against the floor and as the door slams open she stands quickly.

Her arms pull her parents into a hug before she gives a final hug to Freddy and Mickey.

"I knew it, I just knew something was off today," Denise says, her husband holding her as she sobs, "Its all my fault, I should never have let you go and get extra rations for us,"

"That was my choice, mum, I knew what it would do, and I'm just paying for that," Talia breathes, she tried to remain calm as her family panicked.

"1 more minute," A peacekeeper calls from outside.

Freddy immediately pulls his sister into a hug, squeezing her so tightly she can barely breathe.

"Win, all you can do is win," Freddy says, his curly hair falls through her fingers as he pulls away.

Mickey hugs her again then, his warm embrace is comforting.

"Keep a watch over them, stay away from the alcohol and make sure Penny and the baby are okay," Talia whispers, and Mickey nods, before pulling away and placing a comforting hand on Freddy's shoulder.

"Times up, time to leave," The peacekeeper says, opening the door up and waiting for the family to leave.

"Stay safe," Talia says, and her father places a silver necklace in her palm, from it hangs the most perfect pearl, and Talia has no time to question the gift as he places a kiss to her forehead.

"You stay safe,"

_____________

Thank you for reading and i hope you enjoyed!

~lachys-loch
❤️