twenty four

TWENTY FOUR

DANGEROUS GAME

DANGEROUS GAME

Talia had never thought of the prospect of being in the arena again. But here she was, preparing for that. The Reaping would be in a weeks time, and Talia had no doubt that her name would be thrown into that pot more times than anyone else. Mags had promised to volunteer for her, but she was still worried about Finnick. He could be in that arena, he could die, and all for Talia's safety. It made Talia sick to her stomach.

Gregory and Denise Riverthorn had been supportive as ever, Mickey, Penny, Samson and Freddy were all lights in Talia's darkness. Reasons to get out of the games if she was picked and Mags failed to volunteer. The day before the Reaping was strange, the whole District was eerie, barely anyone was out, only 1 or 2 of the shops in the Square opened for business. Talia passed by some of the fishermen who were just heading to work, a late start considering it was nearing noon. She paused, watched them walk by and decided to ask.

"Its a bit late, is it not?" She asks.

The two men turn, sorrow in their eyes, "Aye, lass, it is, but we've been forced out to work today, our families are starving, we thought we might last until after the Reaping tomorrow but we won't,"

Talia's hand fumbles in the small purse she wore over her shoulder and she takes out some money. She holds out her hand towards them, "Take this, buy yourself some food, there's a few shops open, the bakery and butcher are, get some food, feed your families,"

"But...We can't accept that money from you," Says one of the men, glancing to his friend.

"Please, what kind of person would I be if I didn't give you money that I really don't need," Talia says, she steps forwards, still holding out the money.

"You'd be a sane one," The other man says.

"What?" Talia mutters and she tilts her head just in time to see two Peacekeepers holding guns emerge from one of the small alleyways.

"What's happening here?" He asks and Talia's hand drops to her side.

"Nothing of significance to Capitol puppets," She snaps, she had a knife in her boot if it really came down to that.

"You'd be smart to watch your mouth," Says one of the peacekeepers.

"I'm past caring," Talia replies, shifting her weight to the other foot and looking at the two men she's offered money to, "I best be going,"

"Us too," The men say and Talia walks forwards and takes the hand of one of the men, her other hand lifts up and she pushes the money into his hand. Her eyes lift to meet his and she nods, before letting go of him and walking away.

The Peacekeepers follow her, she can hear them behind her, but eventually she loses them in a maze of back passages they haven't had the time to learn during their short time in the District.