nine

NINE

TIME BOMB

TIME BOMB

Talia Riverthorn sat with a calm and collected look on her face, but inside she was riddled with nerves. She had no idea what this private session would be like, but she could feel her palms getting clammy and she knew in her mind that that was no good, especially if she wanted to demonstrate using a trident.

Beside her Ethan Bomer was sitting his his arms folded, as if bored of waiting, Talia had no doubt that he'd get a high score today, no matter how boring or basic his performance- he had the look of a Victor.

"Talia Rivertorn, District Four," An automated voice echoes around the room and she closes her eyes and breathes in deeply, standing up and glancing around the room, the District 6 male, Darius, was grinning at her. She tears her eyes from him and sees Archer, smiling hopefully towards her.

Talia stands up and heads for the elevator, her hands clenched into fists to stop them shaking as she steps inside. It takes her a few floors up and opens to reveal the training centre. She knows already that whatever performance she gives here will be undermined by Ethan's right after her. Her boots carry her quietly across the empty hall and she doesn't look up to the game makers until she's stood directly below them.

"Talia Riverthorn, District Four," She announces, scanning the faces of the gamemakers, they were all drinking from tall flute glasses and behind them, a table full of food, including fish, which Talia knew was from her beloved District.

She turns on her heel and glances at the weapons stand, she sees the black trident sitting there waiting for her, but for now, she ignores it and walks to the collection of materials resting on another stand.

Within a minute she has constructed a net trap that could capture a person, and she climbs up the rope station and demonstrates its ability to work with one of the dummies. She earns a few claps, to which she rolls her eyes and climbs down from the ropes as fast as she can, grabbing the trident in her hands. In the last training day she hadn't touched the trident as Finnick has requested, and now, as she felt the balance of it in her palms, she regretted it.

She paces across the hall, glancing at the gamemakers, the head gamemaker, who she recognised from Caesar Flickerman's interviews, sat at the front, eyes fixed to her. She sends him a smirk, before holding the trident above her, like a javelin. Some of the gamemakers whisper that she will never make such a throw from where she's stood, and as she readies her stance she pulls in a deep breath.

Her fathers words echo in her mind, take a breath, fix your shoulders, keep your eyes forwards, and as you throw the weapon, breathe out, follow it through, and don't miss.

She takes a step fowards, throwing the tri-pointed weapon through the air, the breath falls out of her lips and she watches it spiral, it pierces through the netting and into the dummies chest. She smiles to herself, turning to view the game makers, most of them are gawping in awe at how such a small, fragile little girl managed to throw a weapon of such weight, with such force and precision.