twenty one

TWENTY ONE

NORMALITY

The Mayor's party was the last thing Talia attended to do with her games, and that had been 2 years prior. Since Talia's games, two more tributes had entered, and both had not come back. It was nearly the 74th Games now and Talia prayed everyday that Freddy's name would not come out that bowl.

Talia tried her best to lead a normal life, finishing her education properly, helping her older brother and Penny with their baby, who was nearly 2, helping Freddy with homework, helping her mother cook and clean their house or helping her father fish. Talia tried. But often failed. Nightmares plagued her sleep. She'd often wake the whole household with her screams, her father would rush to her, comfort her, settle her back to sleep, only for her to be awake again within an hour or two to start the day.

Talia wanted to live normally, but the images of Darius, Bailey, Callius and Archer haunted her dreams. Ethan's wicked laugh filled her mind whenever she had a moment of silence. Her life was not hers anymore. She was still playing the game, just not from the inside of an arena. In some ways, she wished she was still in it, at least then her thoughts wouldn't be as insane as they were now.

Her family tried to understand, but it wasn't the same, the horrors they saw through a screen Talia saw in person, lived even. She tried to write things down, tried to draw things. Nothing seemed to work. Nothing could get her mind away from it all. Except for Finnick.

He was her piece of normality.

Finnick was rarely in District 4, but when he was, he would make sure Talia was safe and would always listen, and she would listen to him. Though Finnick spoke in tongues, saying a lot while actually saying nothing at all.

This time, Finnick was back for awhile, on a Capitol break on the run up to the 74th Hunger Games. Talia and he had been inseparable since he came home, trident fishing one morning, swimming the next, meals made by Talia's mother every evening. Walks to the market and harbour and to the places that reminded them of why they loved their district, their home.

It was during that break that Talia realised Finnick had become her very foundation, the man who kept her whole, who held together all her broken pieces. He was her glue.

One evening, they sat on a fallen beechwood at the beach, the hands wrapped up in gloves, warm coats over their shoulders, hats on their heads, scarves round their necks.

"How do you ever get back to normality?" Talia asks into the darkness of the night.

"Honestly," Finnick breathes, "You never do,"

"How did I know you would say that?" Talia mumbles, looking up to meet his eyes.

"Because you knew the answer, you just didn't want to believe it," Finnick sighs, "I'm sorry, Talia, but...Everyday it does get a little easier...Your mother...She mentioned your nightmares,"

"Oh...She did, huh?"

"Says they're still as bad as before," Finnick replies, "You should see a doctor, they'll give you pills to help you sleep,"

"I've seen what happens when you get hooked on drugs, Finnick, I'm not going to let myself become a vegetable," Talia replies and Finnick takes her hand in his, squeezing gently.

"I'm worried about you," Finnick says, Talia rests her head on his shoulder.

"Don't," She says, "I'm sure you have bigger problems than I do, living in the Capitol for half the year,"

"Be glad you don't," Finnick says.

"Why won't you tell what you really do there?"

"Because I don't know who's listening to us," Finnick says, "I would tell you, I just can't, at least not yet, I can't...I don't want you or your family to be hurt because of me,"

"You could never hurt me Finnick," Talia whispers, her breath warm on his neck.

"Maybe not directly, but I'm playing a dangerous game and you needn't be a part of it," Finnick says, "We should head back soon, you're freezing,"

"So are you," She says, "But I like it here,"

"I like it here too, with you, Little Bird," He says and Talia lifts her head to look at him.

"Those Capitol women are so lucky," She breathes, immediately regretting saying such a thing.

"Those Capitol women don't see the real me," Finnick says, "They get the Victor,"

"I see you," She whispers.

His hand lifts, his fingerless glove allows for his fingertips to run over her cheekbone, holding her face gently, his thumb runs over her lower lip and their eyes meet. She gulps as he leans in, and their eyes close as their lips connect. A kiss worth a thousand words. His other hand lifts to rest on her neck and she simply kisses back, unable to move her hands, completely shocked. He slowly moves back and his hands remain cupping her face, their eyes staring into each others.

"I see you, Talia,"

______________

this chapter is weak

sorry lol

~lachys-loch
❤️