fifty

FIFTY

BITING POINT

BITING POINT

Two weeks. Thats how long it took them to figure out their plan to attack the Nut once Katniss and her team arrived. Talia had been sleeping off a period of morning sickness in the tent when Katniss awoke her and told her Gale and Lyme's idea. Talia shrugged and said it sounded good to her.

A few hours later, once night settled in, they started their journey to the town centre. They would bomb the mountain enough to cause avalanches on the weaker sides, hoping to scare out the survivors, while limiting the amount of deaths and injuries. The rebels on foot honed in on the town centre, blocking off all routes that the survivors may take in an attempt to escape capture.

Once in place, Commander Lyme radioed in and the bomb squad moved in. Hovercrafts carried in the bombs and released them onto the Nut. The blast could be heard for miles. Katniss gulped down the lump in her throat as Lyme signalled to move. As the rebel forces flooded the town centre, Peacekeepers and a few civilians picked up weapons and fired round after round towards the rebels. But the rebels were stronger, had more people. A lot of rebels lost their lives, but all the Peacekeepers did.

They held their position outside the Nut, weapons aimed and ready to attack anyone that decided not to surrender. The wait was anxious, but after an hour, the rebels consider it a win. Katniss's filming crew gather her by the Justice Building and begin broadcasting across Panem. Talia can't hear the words Katniss is speaking, her eyes still focused on the train tracks that come out of the Nut. Just as Talia is about to turn her attention, she hears it, the rumble of trains.

"INCOMING!" She yells. Everyone races for cover, unholstering weapons immediately. Two trains rush from the Nut, survivors firing weapons. The rebels fire back. Talia aims her gun and shoots the leg of a survivor- she couldn't tell if they were armed or not.

Katniss, who was being protected by Gale, rushes from her position and out into what would be no mans land. The shooting stops from either side automatically.

The Mockingjay walks slowly towards someone lying on the floor, someone covered in burns, someone who was dying. She kneels down before the man and Talia stands immediately, pistol still ready to fire. Before anyone can do anything, the dying man has the barrel of his gun pushed against the side of Katniss's head.

"Go on," Katniss urges, "I'm tired. I'm so tired. Tired of being a piece in the Capitol's games,"

The man's eyebrows furrow at the statement, his grip on the gun eases, and he slowly moves it away. Katniss gulps. And Haymitch Abernathy steps up to stand beside Talia.