forty

FORTY

KATNISS, ARE YOU THERE?

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

KATNISS, ARE YOU THERE?

His hands were blistered and calloused from endless hours of tying and untying the length of rope he'd been given. His eyes were tired and dull from sleep plagued with nightmares. His throat dry and hoarse from hours of screaming Talia's name.

Little did he know that right at that moment, as he looked up at the glass that only offered him his own sombre reflection, she was on the other side, watching him intently.

The staff kept telling him she was alive, but for some reason he wouldn't let himself believe it. He had seen her lying there on the ground when the hovercraft picked him up, bleeding from her leg badly.

The doctors told him she lived, she'd had a poisonous infection in her leg, but they nursed her back from it all. He asked for proof and they couldn't provide.

On the other side of the glass, Talia had her forehead pressed to it, she wishes she could simply slip into the room and hug him, and then kiss him and tell him how much she loved him and needed him, but it just wasn't happening. Kalvin, Finnick's daily nurse, was here to so his checks, to ask him questions and check him over.

Finnick puts down the rope when Kalvin enters, his eyes suddenly alert and ready. Kalvin gives him a soft smile and pulls up the stool beside the bed like usual.

"How are you feeling today, Finnick?"

"Better," He said the same everyday.

"Good...Have you eaten today?"

"Every meal," He said that everyday too.

"And how has the rope been?"

"Excellent," And that too.

"And do you understand that...That you're suffering with some emotional distress?"

Finnick shrugs, as always.

"Do you know that Talia Riverthorn is alive and well?"

Finnick gulps. Usually he says no immediately, then starts shouting her name, roaring. Today, was different. He picked the rope up in his hand and tied a new knot into it.

"Finnick?" Kalvin asks, a hint of hope in his voice.

"Talia Riverthorn is alive and well," Finnick says, as he undoes the rope. Kalvin looks up at the glass, he can only imagine the look on Talia's face right now.

"That's correct, she is," Kalvin says, "Do you know where she is?"

"District 13," Finnick nods, eyes fixated on the rope.

"And who is she to you?"

"My tribute, my victor, my love," Finnick's voice is so soft and calm, so unlike it has been previously.