seventeen

SEVENTEEN

FROM TRIBUTE TO VICTOR

Light. That was all she could see. Bright, fake light produced by a bulb only the Capitol would own. She was alive. She'd been the only one to make it out. She blinked, allowing her vision to reform completely, she pushes herself to sit up, looking round the room. A hospital bed in the Capitol Building. Talia Riverthorn, Victor of the 71st Annual Hunger Games. It didn't sound right. The door opens and three people walk inside. Thelan, Aldar and Finnick. Each of them pause at the sight of Talia awake.

"Where am I?" Talia asks into the silence. The trio walk forwards quickly, Finnick taking her hand immediately.

"You're in the Capitol, in the hospital wing, you lost a lot of blood, you've been out for a week, the Capitol have been going frantic, we thought you might not make it," Finnick says, "And your wrist is broken,"

She looks down at her left wrist, luckily it wasn't her throwing hand, it was wrapped up in a cast.

"A week?" Talia asks, looking between the three of them, "What's happened while I've been out?"

"Nothing much, some riots in 4, people wanting you back home safe, the Capitol issued no news on your health," Thelan says, smiling softly, "But now, you can be crowned Victor, you can have your interview, you can go home and then before you know it the Victory Tour,"

"I'm sick of this place," Talia says, "The Capitol is nothing to me,"

"The Capitol welcomed you with-"

"Welcomed me? I was forced to come here," Talia fires back at Thelan.

"Talia, you should rest some more," Aldar says, glancing towards Finnick, "The ceremony will be tonight now the President knows you're awake,"

"Fine," Talia says, looking at Finnick, "Have you heard anything from home?"

Finnick shakes his head, "I've not been allowed any contact out of the Capitol, I'm sorry,"

Talia just nods, sliding back down under the covers and closing her eyes.

The dress was blue, a deep blue, the colour of the sea that District 4's boats went out to everyday. Upon her head, a row of seashells that danced along her forehead, but left room for the Victor's crown the President would soon place upon her head. Around her neck, the pearl necklace her father had gifted her and on her arms, bands of silver bracelets. She looked beautiful. The cast around her wrist and hand ruined the image slightly, and below her dress was a bandage over her shoulder. She follows behind Thelan and Finnick after thanking Aldar for making her look presentable. Talia pauses just as they reach the balcony of the building. She could see him stood there, waiting for her, the crown sitting in its cushion.

"Just step out, smile, say thank you and walk back out," Thelan says, "Nothing dramatic or difficult,"

Talia nods, looking at Finnick, "How do you look into the eyes of a murderer?"

"Talia!" Thelan exclaims.

"Its just something you'll have to get used to," Finnick says, "But do it. Look into his eyes, see how cold they are,"

Talia nods, turning and walking out onto the balcony, below, thousands of people gathered to see her crowned as a Victor. She pauses in front of the President and he sends the girl a smile, one that if worn by anyone else, would have been kind and inviting- but on him, looked sinister.

"Today, we gather here to crown Talia Riverthorn of District 4 as the Victor of the 71st Annual Hunger Games!" The President calls, he turns, lifting the crown from its cushion and looking right into Talia's eyes. She simply stares back, no smile, no words, just a cool stare that seemed to match his. She could see it, swimming in the blue of his eyes, the coldness only a killer could have. She had no doubt she had the same swimming in her own eyes now, after the actions she took in the games. Flashes of faces burst in her mind, some killed by her, some killed by others. All of them dead, because of the man standing before her, placing a golden crown on her head.

"Congratulations, Miss Riverthorn," He says, and she nods her head.

"Thank you," She says, her voice equally as cold.

"A pretty pearl," He says, "From your father, is it not?"

"It is, he found it himself," Talia says, eyes never moving from his.

"I hope we'll see each other often, Talia, the Capitol will always welcome you home,"

"District 4 is my home,"

"Maybe it was once. Now, the Capitol owns you, as it owns each and every Victor," Snow replies, voice now sour rather than cold, "I'll see you on your tour in a few months time,"

"Very well," Talia says, "May that be the last time I lay eyes upon you,"

"Enjoy your winnings, Miss Riverthorn, and may the odds be ever in your favour,"

She turns, walking away, not even sparing a glance towards the crowds of Capitol citizens below. Finnick is waiting for her outside, he sends her a small smile and she returns one, a fake one at best.

"Its time for your interview, and from there, you're allowed to go straight home,"

"Thank the heavens," Talia mutters, Finnick grabs her arm, pulling her to the side.

"I heard every word you said to him," Finnick says, "He won't take being spoken to like that very well,"

"I'm past caring," She admits, "He can try and kill me, he can try and kill my family, but he must know, I'm always going to be watching out for him,"

"Its not that simple...If only you knew,"

"Knew what?"

"There you are!" Thelan exclaims, "Come along dear, its time for your interview,"

Talia was whisked away by Thelan before Finnick could even begin to explain, and she was soon walking out on stage to sit with Caesar Flickerman. She takes her seat and Caesar offers a smile.

"Talia, why don't we start by asking, how does it feel to be a Victor?" Caesar asks.

She looks directly towards the cameras, she knew what she had to say, had to act like, "Brilliant, I couldn't be happier,"

"That's wonderful, and tell me, how does it feel to know you're going home after this interview?"

"It means the world to me," Talia breathes, "I can't wait to see the smiling faces of District 4,"

"And in the arena, you showed such strength and bravery, how does it feel to be able to look back upon those memories and be proud?" Caesar asks.

"I'm sure I'll admire them for years to come," She forces, gulping back the sick that threatened to end up all over the Capitol crowd in front of her.

"Thank you, Talia, and again, congratulations on your victory, I'll be seeing you in a few months, for the Victory Tour," Caesar says, standing up, he shakes her hand and she's allowed to leave.

Her feet have never moved faster, carrying her off the stage and straight to Finnick. He places an arm round her shoulder, leaning close to her ear, "Well done, Talia, now just focus on home, focus on your family, focus on the sea, focus on the boats and the fish and the pearls, focus on home, focus on everything but the Capitol and the Games...Focus on me,"

_________

its update season!

thank you for reading & i hope you enjoyed

~lachys-loch
❤️