twenty five

TWENTY FIVE

FIRE STARTER

FIRE STARTER

The night before the Reaping Day for the 75th Annual Hunger Games was one that made Talia realise just what she valued in her life and how lucky she was to have won her games those 4 years ago. It was spent with a dinner cooked by her mother, Denise, her father sharing stories at the head of the table of his fishing boat days, Mickey and Penny announcing their wedding with Sam in their arms and Freddy, being the perfect boy he was, now all grown up and soon to be in the clear of never having his name in the bowl again. Finnick was invited but never showed, Talia obviously wondered where he was, but was more focused on her family, of having one last night of comfort before the horrors of the following day came true.

She was sitting in front of the fire, her legs crossed under her body and her hands outstretched to catch the warmth when her younger brother took a seat beside her and copied her, no words were said for a moment, until Talia glanced his way and saw the tears sliding down his reddened cheeks.

"Hey, save the tears," She says softly, not wanting to alert the rest of her family, who were sitting at the dining table behind them with smiles plastered on their faces.

"I don't want you to go," He whispers, his voice catching in his throat, it made Talia's chest rattle.

"I might not be," She says, "I've been assured plenty of people will volunteer,"

"But what if they don't?" Freddy asks, his eyes glancing from the fire to his sister.

"I don't know, Freddy, but...But if I do end up back in the arena, I'll try my best," She says and she takes his hand in hers, her thumb rubbing comforting circles over the back of his hand, "Just know that I love you to pieces and I would do anything for you,"

He nods his head and shuffles closer, hugging her tightly. She wipes his eyes and sends him a smile.

"C'mon, they'll be missing us," She says and the two of them stand up and walk back to the dining table, Freddy sits beside his sister, his hand still enclosed in hers and he wonders what it'd be like without her. He didn't want a world where Talia Riverthorn didn't exist, but the fact it might be a reality sooner rather than later, shook him to the core.

The sun was barely peaking over the horizon when Talia awoke the following morning. She bathed, brushed her hair and teeth and got dressed in her outfit for the reaping- black trousers tucked into knee length boots and a pale blue jumper. She placed her hair into a bun and wore her father's pearl necklace with pride. As she went downstairs to get breakfast, she noticed a letter posted through her letterbox. She picked it up and opened it upon seeing her name scrawled across it. She reads it once and then reads again.

Dear Talia,

I am writing this to remind you of the importance of your persona. The Pearl of Panem. You are special. You won the hearts of the Districts and the Capitol. You have something in you. You are a fighter. You are a rebel. You are a leader. We need you. Please come and find us after the reaping and we will fill you in on everything necessary to know.